Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aluminium “Welding” Rods

Has anyone used these “welding” rods and, if so, are they as simple to use as the advert shows?

https://www.millionus.co.uk/products...30961102159923
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes, tried ones called HS2000 or something similar to fix a crack in a G-box.... absolute shite....ended up getting it properly welded by a professional who knew what they were at. The videos do make it look easy, maybe if you were using it on very thin aluminium it might be better.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    Yes, tried ones called HS2000 or something similar to fix a crack in a G-box.... absolute shite....ended up getting it properly welded by a professional who knew what they were at. The videos do make it look easy, maybe if you were using it on very thin aluminium it might be better.
    Thanks for that.

It is going to be on 1.5mm aluminium so that should be thin enough. I suspect that the critical thing is getting the temperature spot on and even. The only way to do that properly is with an infra red thermometer and doing a series of spot checks. It may be time to go shopping. Hmm
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah you might have better luck with thin aluminium like it seems to work in the YouTube videos. Good luck!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well I have bought a set and will see how it does. There was a review on a You Tube channel called Dellboy’s garage that gave it a reasonable review - not much use for structural situations and it isn’t stronger than the parent metal it would appear. For my application it should be just what I am after - non-structural and somewhat easier than alternatives. It is another tool for the box.

The You Tube video is here:

https://youtu.be/k21JDVdGalY

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To have any chance you have to get all the bits as clean as possible. Surface oxides have to be removed.
    At the end if the day your soldering...
    If you were, close I'd Tig it for you.... No friendly welders or body shops on your ind est?
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    To have any chance you have to get all the bits as clean as possible. Surface oxides have to be removed.
    At the end if the day your soldering...
    If you were, close I'd Tig it for you.... No friendly welders or body shops on your ind est?
    I have got a contact but I have a hankering to do it myself - I have made the rest of the panniers myself and so it would satisfying to do it all myself. The rest is riveted but rivets would be wrong on the lids.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its effectively brazing - it does work but the joint is not very strong with no real penetration of the base metal. Horses for courses! You have to do it exactly as shown - super clean surfaces and heat the workpiece with the torch - not the rod.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    I have got a contact but I have a hankering to do it myself - I have made the rest of the panniers myself and so it would satisfying to do it all myself. The rest is riveted but rivets would be wrong on the lids.
    I take you had a look on youtube
    Some of the rivet type look pretty good
    Have you got a sheet metal brake .
    If your folding the lid and just filling in the corners its probley ok . Even the best made panniers are often
    a problem on a long bike tour.

I'm sure you can make them look pretty knowning
    What you do for a living . But strong is the need
    Good looks come in 2nd place . First time you lay her down you don't want the lid to pop

Photos please when they look fab .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 28-04-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am planning on folding the lids and as you say just filling in the corners. As you say the first off is likely to be a challenge for any pannier - that was part of the reason for going for aluminium - easy to bash back to an approximate shape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast