Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Virus Statistics

Being in Guernsey, our testing regime is different than in the UK and being a closed environment so may find our statistics interesting although they may not directly correlate with the UK infection figures.

Our current testing rate is 26 per 1000, whereas the UK rate is 2.7 per thousand so we have about 10x more tests per capita.

Samples tested
    Positive results
    Negative results
    Awaiting results
    No. of deaths
    No. of presumptive deaths
    Number recovered

According to the Director of Public Health, our testing is carried out far more widely than in the UK, therefore tests are taken in care homes if anyone is suspected of being infected, even if already receiving end of life care. Out of the 11 deaths, only one would have been recorded as a Covid death if using the same methods as the UK, the other 10 died outside of the hospital. All 11 have been over the age of 80.

We currently have 8 patients in the Covid ward, none in intensive care and none on ventilators.

Those classed as recovered have had two negative tests after being infected.

Most of the positive tests have come from known contacts with a large number having mild or no symptoms.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    Out of the 11 deaths, only one would have been recorded as a Covid death if using the same methods as the UK, the other 10 died outside of the hospital. All 11 have been over the age of 80.
    In a similar manner the care home my mother was in had only one confirmed case of covid on record. But had an additional three suspected and non tested.
    Only that one confirmed case in the home will be listed while the other three will not. I was told they can test up to a total of five at the home.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is a major problem in the UK with the scale of testing. Partly this is due to the size of the UK population and partly I think to the decision, early on, to concentrate in one lab the development of testing, this was probably for reasons of quality of tests and we are still not in a position to judge the wisdom of this decision as there are recurrent problems with test accuracy around the world. We are where we are and decisions will have to be made on inadequate information of which this is only one. I do not envy those making those decisions.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    There is a major problem in the UK with the scale of testing. Partly this is due to the size of the UK population and partly I think to the decision, early on, to concentrate in one lab the development of testing, this was probably for reasons of quality of tests and we are still not in a position to judge the wisdom of this decision as there are recurrent problems with test accuracy around the world. We are where we are and decisions will have to be made on inadequate information of which this is only one. I do not envy those making those decisions.
    Herd immunity was and is the end goal.

Constructions “SOP3” site operating procedures v3. 2 m social distancing unless the task can’t be done without it. Then only 15min face to face contact (doesn’t say if that’s per hour/day or week) ffp3 is last resort way behind that.
    Many of my site lads now feel they’re expendable by this government.

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Herd immunity is the end goal for the planet, not just the UK and any government that says otherwise is deluding their people. I have significant issues with this government but at least they are, in this singular instance, being honest with us. The route to herd immunity is either 60-70+% of the population get the virus or a smaller percentage do and then the rest of the population get mopped up by vaccination. I suspect and fervently hope it will be the latter as the death toll for 60-70% will be horrendous.

That will please the anti-vaxxers who will dodge the “bullet” and stick to their 4G phones. Apparently, in addition to the 5G “theory”, some anti-vaxxers are saying that we shouldn’t wash our hands as that stops us building a natural immunity to it. And these people are allowed to walk amongst us, that does worry me.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

I'm on the naughty step. Back when I'm good.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Herd immunity is the end goal for the planet, not just the UK and any government that says otherwise is deluding their people. I have significant issues with this government but at least they are, in this singular instance, being honest with us. ...
    You are contradicting yourself. The UK government has said that collective immunity is not the goal. (Although it has constantly lied and changed it's statement a few times so I don't think anyone is clear any more what, if anything, is the goal)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That will please the anti-vaxxers who will dodge the “bullet” and stick to their 4G phones. Apparently, in addition to the 5G “theory”, some anti-vaxxers are saying that we shouldn’t wash our hands as that stops us building a natural immunity to it. And these people are allowed to walk amongst us, that does worry me.
    But hopefully only briefly, if Darwin has anything to do with it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    You are contradicting yourself. The UK government has said that collective immunity is not the goal. (Although it has constantly lied and changed it's statement a few times so I don't think anyone is clear any more what, if anything, is the goal)
    I frequently contradict myself as I am a parent. I am also a hypocrite.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    But hopefully only briefly, if Darwin has anything to do with it.
    True, but the flip side of that is that some people, my younger daughter amongst them, cannot have “live” vaccines as her immune system is weak due to a genetic condition. The morons that refuse vaccinations (any offence meant - but not to real morons) put her, and many others, at risk.

I'm on the naughty step. Back when I'm good.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I frequently contradict myself as I am a parent. I am also a hypocrite.
    Just human mate.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast