Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A new look at Deep Stops

Did anyone else spot this, I am not sure how new the limited data is though, given the dates of the testing.

https://gue.com/blog/digging-deeper-...or-deep-stops/

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    "a vocal minority in the diving community has been gathering their pitchforks and protesting against deep stops, and anyone who would commit the thought-crime of considering them."

well he sounds like a fucking prick and I'm not even past the first line

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    "a vocal minority in the diving community has been gathering their pitchforks and protesting against deep stops, and anyone who would commit the thought-crime of considering them."

well he sounds like a fucking prick and I'm not even past the first line
    I got a couple of lines further and gave up as the standard of writing was terrible
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    It is vaguely worth tolerating and reading the rest, though I get the feeling the author is a deep stop fanatic and is clutching at a few new studies that seem to support his view that apparently he was right all along. From my brief reading the other day, it sounds like a few studies have shown that under a few of the conditions, a deep stop does seem to be helpful, though IIRC, all the dives being studied were relatively shallow. This would certainly agree with my own anecdotal evidence - I tend to feel less knackered if I do a deliberate (Pyle-style) deep stop rather than coming straight up to stop at 6m from a <40m dive. The most obvious take-away (again IIRC) was that it isn't an open and shut case and more studies are needed, which I doubt anyone would disgree with, though the design of those studies would be a tricky job.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The observation is correct.

The "advocates for change", used a narrative consisting of many deceptions or fabrications, with data dredging and lots of peer pressure to push the change through.

The reality is, that the deeper stop practices and models are still the most successful regimen we have seen. This is backed by numerous collections of historical records, and various trend studies.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Here we go again
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossh View Post

The "advocates for change", used a narrative consisting of many deceptions or fabrications, with data dredging and lots of peer pressure to push the change through.

The reality is, that the deeper stop practices and models are still the most successful regimen we have seen. This is backed by numerous collections of historical records, and various trend studies.
    Says the only ☺☺☺☺ on here trying to sell something off the back of it

Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossh View Post

This lockdown has me lost in regards to what day it is... but its not Friday already is it?

regardless... wheres the popcorn?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Says the only ☺☺☺☺ on here trying to sell something off the back of it
    Your comment is irrelevant and false. I make money selling deco software on BOTH sides of this argument. (www.multideco.com)
    Last edited by rossh; 07-04-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So Ross, do you think deep stops are a good thing or not?

Deep stops appear to be counter-intuitive in that you're staying deeper for longer, thus on-gassing. Logic says that you get up as high as you can and deco out from there; hence the change to more "aggressive" gradient factors. People don't seem to get bent for changing to this and they get out faster, especially for longer, deeper dives.

That Mr Pyle felt better is interesting, but that seems about it.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast