Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Iíve just been in touch with my local ITU, and The reply was (I quote) ďThank you for your kind offer and I am sure we could use this as we are running short of soda limeď.

This is a major, relatively new hospital in Kent, so if they are in trouble, I guess all will be in a similar boat.

I will sleep more soundly tomorrow, feeling I may have helped someone.

Chris

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I’ve just been in touch with my local ITU, and The reply was (I quote) “Thank you for your kind offer and I am sure we could use this as we are running short of soda lime“.

This is a major, relatively new hospital in Kent, so if they are in trouble, I guess all will be in a similar boat.

I will sleep more soundly tomorrow, feeling I may have helped someone.

Chris
    That was the purpose of my original post - if passing the request around gets even one department the supplies they need, it was worth the time posting it. You might just have helped save some lives.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We are in surge capacity and together with a number of English hospitals start to learn a very painful way how inadequate anaesthetic machine ventilators are for the purpose of intensive care. The circuits get waterlogged with HME filters in place. You canít do closed suction as the bellows will collapse and you lose the pressure in the breathing system. We have to run fairly high gas flows, which in turn rapidly depletes the O2 supply and only feasible in certain locations due to the pipes.
    Helpful people all over the country try to sell us ventilators which are easy to make, very basic and simply waste gas. There is a reason why sophisticated machines, like the ICU ventilators cost a fortune and whatever the press tries to sell, we will never have enough of them during this pandemic.
    There are dark days and tough choices ahead!
    Bw,

Tamas

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    My back of a fag packet maths was that 1 person would need 5 J cylinders of med o2 per day on one of the anaestetic machines
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    My back of a fag packet maths was that 1 person would need 5 J cylinders of med o2 per day on one of the anaestetic machines
    That j will last a lot longer than a day m8 .
    Think you read Simon's post wrong . New fag packed needed .
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    That j will last a lot longer than a day m8 .
    Think you read Simon's post wrong . New fag packed needed .
    IIRC he said 1200L an hour so 28,800L a day. A medical J has 48L @130bar so 6240L. You would need 4.6 cylinders a day?
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How come the pressure's so low on medical O2?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    IIRC he said 1200L an hour so 28,800L a day. A medical J has 48L @130bar so 6240L. You would need 4.6 cylinders a day?
    Read Simon's post again

Not saying you can't do your math's .
    Your misreading Simon's post

The 1200 plus came from TD

hospital s in my area have lox storage .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 31-03-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    Read Simon's post again
    Yes I did misread it. 300-400ml per min or 24L per hr if sedated and closed circuit etc. Tim suggested 1200 or more on the machines he had experienced.

It seems there is a lot of wiggle room for gas requirements based on what ever machines are used.

The more low tech the machine, the more that they will use and everyone and their mother seems to be trying to make them lower and lower tech
    Last edited by Paulo; 31-03-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think it was me who guesstimated up to 1200l per hour dependent on settings on an ITU ventilator, but these will normally be supplied by wall O2 outlets from the pipeline system. Theatre ventilators are the closed circuit low O2 use ones. The ITU ventilators have an air O2 blender built in. Air is also normally supplied by a pipeline system. Both pipelines are nominally at 400kPa or 4 bar except some power tools require 7bar. O2 is normally supplied from a liquid Oxygen evaporator system with J cylinder manifold backup Air from a compressor system. As you can easily understand taking these systems to the limits and beyond of there envisaged working is producing some problems. Tamas's post illustrates some of these problems. Standing instructions for the management of these systems run to 160pages.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...-01_Part_B.pdf for anyone with a few hours to waste.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast