Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    New TDF Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Olympus TG-5 vs Sony RX100 iii with underwater housing Sony MPK-URX100A

    Yes. As the title says, I wonder a bit about the quality differences in the finished filmed / footage.

    I have an Olympus TG-5 today that I shot and filmed a lot with when I dive. I also have a Sony RX100 iii (not to dive with, yet). I don't stay deeper than 15 meters (50 ft).

    My idea is to buy a UV housing Sony MPK-URX100A for the Sony RX100.

    It is a lot of money and totally unaware of the finished result I ask here if anyone has experience with my ideas?

    Will it be better results?
    Is it worth SEK 3750 (350 Euro / 375 USD)?

    Admittedly, TG-5 is filming in 4K. The Sony does not. But it might be better results anyway with the Sony?

    Grateful for answers.

  2. #2
    Pedantic Pig Divemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,171
    Likes (Given)
    7043
    Likes (Received)
    3367
    Why don't you just shoot 2 identical things on land and compare them?
    She said you know honey it's such a shame You'll never be any good at this game You bruise too easily

  3. #3
    New TDF Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Why don't you just shoot 2 identical things on land and compare them?
    I have not buy the Sony uv-housing yet. That's why I put this question here.

  4. #4
    Pedantic Pig Divemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,171
    Likes (Given)
    7043
    Likes (Received)
    3367
    But you do have both cameras? The housing would have to be very bad to affect the quality of output.
    She said you know honey it's such a shame You'll never be any good at this game You bruise too easily

  5. #5
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    2,165
    Likes (Given)
    808
    Likes (Received)
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    But you do have both cameras? The housing would have to be very bad to affect the quality of output.
    I would agree - the side by side comparison (without spending a fortune) would be possible on land.

  6. #6
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    148
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    65
    I'm a great fan of these Sony cameras, and have used the II and V. If it's stills there won't be a huge difference. If you want video, the V is streets ahead of the II and probably the III (although the III did get some video improvements over the II). For video there's no comparison between the II and the V - on the V the autofocus is stellar, the 4k and 1080 is lovely and there's a really great choice of codecs. The issues with my V are lack of stabilisation and Sony's great achilles heel - the white balance. If you're handy with grading software and with the use of lights or a filter then you can get round it but it's a PITA. My understanding is that the latest one (possibly the VI or the VII?) has had this much improved plus has great stabilisation but they're pricey. Backscatter has a good video on this improved WB.

    I'm very happy with my V for the moment and I use it in a secondhand Fantasea housing which has been great with and have managed to squeeze some pretty decent video out of it. If I was in your position I don't think the III would represent the leap forward you might be looking for - I'd probably continue with the TG and look at one of the newer ones or possibly a Panasonic?

    If you want to see some videos I've shot etc or chat further drop me a PM.
    Last edited by longbow; 28-03-2020 at 02:09 PM.

  7. #7
    New TDF Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I'm a great fan of these Sony cameras, and have used the II and V. If it's stills there won't be a huge difference. If you want video, the V is streets ahead of the II and probably the III (although the III did get some video improvements over the II). For video there's no comparison between the II and the V - on the V the autofocus is stellar, the 4k and 1080 is lovely and there's a really great choice of codecs. The issues with my V are lack of stabilisation and Sony's great achilles heel - the white balance. If you're handy with grading software and with the use of lights or a filter then you can get round it but it's a PITA. My understanding is that the latest one (possibly the VI or the VII?) has had this much improved plus has great stabilisation but they're pricey. Backscatter has a good video on this improved WB.

    I'm very happy with my V for the moment and I use it in a secondhand Fantasea housing which has been great with and have managed to squeeze some pretty decent video out of it. If I was in your position I don't think the III would represent the leap forward you might be looking for - I'd probably continue with the TG and look at one of the newer ones or possibly a Panasonic?

    If you want to see some videos I've shot etc or chat further drop me a PM.
    Thank you so much for all the answers.

    So you mean that investing in a Sony MPK-URX house in comparison to the Olympus TG-5 does not pay its quality?

    I was thinking of completing one

    https://www.amazon.com/Suptig-Underw.../dp/B07BY7127G

    and a

    https://www.amazon.com/SHOOT-Alumini.../dp/B00P8KZHZ0

    to the Sony MPK-URX

    What do you mean with "PITA", "Backscatter" and "improved WB"?

  8. #8
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    2,165
    Likes (Given)
    808
    Likes (Received)
    703
    PITA= Pain In The Ass
    backscatter= the reflections from small debris such as plankton etc
    WB= white balance (needs adjusted for underwater shooting)

  9. #9
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    148
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor815 View Post
    Thank you so much for all the answers.

    So you mean that investing in a Sony MPK-URX house in comparison to the Olympus TG-5 does not pay its quality?

    I was thinking of completing one

    https://www.amazon.com/Suptig-Underw.../dp/B07BY7127G

    and a

    https://www.amazon.com/SHOOT-Alumini.../dp/B00P8KZHZ0

    to the Sony MPK-URX

    What do you mean with "PITA", "Backscatter" and "improved WB"?
    PITA - Pain in the arse! ;-)

    In this context: Backscatter - US camera store that has a lot of review videos etc. This compact camera roundup is excellent.

    Improved WB - Improved white balance*.

    For this answer - I'm assuming you're concentrating on video as opposed to stills. If you asked, is the Sony RX100 VI or VII capable of shooting better video than a TG 5 then I would say absolutely yes.

    However, if you're asking will housing an RX100 III give me better results than my TG 5 underwater? My simple answer would be - probably not.

    * As a land camera, my Sony RX100 V can shoot superb video, better than many larger cameras, but it's handicapped underwater by a poor white balance (WB). The video is great quality (high bitrate etc) but the colours can be 'wrong' - fixing it requires competance in software like After Effects. (The high quality of video helps in this regard - you can push it around a lot but there are limits). The newer ones are better than my V in this reagrd, but they're a lot of money.

  10. #10
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    148
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    65
    Just seen Neil has answered some of the questions - apologies for the dupe answers.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •