Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: SMB Repair

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SMB Repair

I found a 1cm tear in one of my triangular SMB's. Its a sealed version. Any tips on how best to repair it would be gratefully appreciated.

Cathal

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Aquasure and or tearaid
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SMB Repair

I used a patch from a bike puncture repair kit, but applied aquasure to both the patch and SMB before applying - left to go tacky - weighted down overnight, then covered the whole patch with a strip of gaffer tape the following day, to help protect the edges of the patch from being rolled every time the SMB is rolled up/inflated etc. Figured it was a similar principle to using seam tape over the edges of drysuit seals - except I didn't want anything as "bulky" as seam tape (effectively another patch) as the SMB needs to be rolled up easily.

This was winter 2018 - it lasted all of last year no problem. Hopefully it will get some more use later this year!
    Last edited by JimmE; 24-03-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Get a new one ?
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Went with tear aid in the end. Was advised to have about a 1Ē inch border all the way around for support.
    Thanks for all the tips.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a few SMBs with holes in I have written training only on the bottom and use them for teaching. I dont mind patched up drysuits but for piece of mind and price I want an SMB I do not have to worry about.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    I have a few SMBs with holes in I have written training only on the bottom and use them for teaching. I dont mind patched up drysuits but for piece of mind and price I want an SMB I do not have to worry about.
    Agreed, I have dedicated SMBís that are in perfect condition. This is not a usual SMB, itís triangular in shape and can be used for a range of applications.

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is a product available which is probably perfect for what you need, this is McNett Gear Aid Aquasure + FD Repair Kit, it's available from pretty much all diving retailers, it has an RRP of around £8.95. Just put that in to Google and you should be able to easily find information about it. Cheers, Martin...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    There is a product available which is probably perfect for what you need, this is McNett Gear Aid Aquasure + FD Repair Kit, it's available from pretty much all diving retailers, it has an RRP of around £8.95. Just put that in to Google and you should be able to easily find information about it. Cheers, Martin...
    Much obliged and noted, thanks.

Cathal

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I now have one of the Mares Torpedo SMB's filled with builders foam, for use when doing drifts etc