Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Air trapped in suit

Dived yesterday, on ascent i couldnt get the air out of my suit. Valve fully opened, when lifitng arm in air forearm was like a baloon, when i lowered arm and raised shoulder it woouldnt vent.

Im thinking possibly undersuit blocking valve?

otter britanic and PBB extreme

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    400 pages of shite to follow .
    Think I'll self isolat for this one .
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sounds a bit like it. If so, just stick a bit of gaffer tape on to the undersuit under your dump valve. I've got a Northern Diver locking cuff dump on my suit as well as the autodump just in case of issues like this. Some years ago, my wife had a problem with a bit of plastic breaking off in her dump valve and jamming it. Her membrane suit has neoprene over cuffs and neckseal for added warmth but this means it is almost impossible to get at the seals to vent in an emergency. I managed to slow her ascent by grabbing on to her and dumping everything but still a scary experience. It was after that that I fitted cuff dumps to both our suits.

She also had an issue 12 years ago with a new Waterproof undersuit. It was trapping air and it turned out to be the metalised backing of the material not being air porous when new. It was fine after it had been washed.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Take the valve out and blow gently through it to check it's opening.

If it's not, replace it.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    400 pages of shite to follow .
    Think I'll self isolat for this one .
    I think it is because the suit was designed for European air and now won't work with the semi UK air. Either that or it has got blocked with great big clumps of coronavirus.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Be surprised if pbb xtreme are stopping it, not the type of fit/material. Check the valve.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    The dump valve works as a push dump as well. If the autovent fails to dump fast enough, push the valve in and it will dump more gas
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Took valve off suit, doesnt take much effort to blow air through. Valve had some sort of sealant on it, do i need to re-apply before refitting the valve?

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    you shouldn't need sealant - there should ba a rubber backing pad stuck to the suit which the valve seals against.

For some reasion, people love to put aquasure on them too, but it shouldn't be needed.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    you shouldn't need sealant - there should ba a rubber backing pad stuck to the suit which the valve seals against.

For some reasion, people love to put aquasure on them too, but it shouldn't be needed.
    your right, theres rubber, thanks for the help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast