Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Urgent Appeal for Brits to Work on Farms

Posted in Farmer's Weekly, please please share it around. There are people suffering financially, and the farms have lost access to usual array of seasonal fruit and veg pickers due to travel restrictions, so this will help address both issues.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/coron...-work-on-farms
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Posted in Farmer's Weekly, please please share it around. There are people suffering financially, and the farms have lost access to usual array of seasonal fruit and veg pickers due to travel restrictions, so this will help address both issues.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/coron...-work-on-farms
    Oh the irony.............
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dig for victory.

Return to the past; family holidays fruit picking

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    Oh the irony.............
    That did cross my mind.... Hence starting a new thread so at least the initial request wouldn't get lost in the inevitable fall out
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I hope this is not "inevitable fall out".

The government needs to suspend all the usual crap about universal credit and looking for work and all the other stuff. Let people that are willing and able to go pick fruit etc go and do it. If they are registered unemployed they should continue to receive the same benefits and be exempted from anything that prevents them doing this. When the fruit is picked go back to looking for a regular job. Meantime it might help them with debts and other issues.

(Sorry but this is why the whole subject is political - the government can do this, should do this. This task needs to be done and now is not the time to make some stupid party point about it.)

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I might be reading this from my own political point of view, but I saw the "inevitable fall out" as being of earlier decisions related to the EU

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    I might be reading this from my own political point of view, but I saw the "inevitable fall out" as being of earlier decisions related to the EU
    Blame BREXIT for the mess caused by a viral pandemic originating in China. LOL.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaleForceEight View Post
    Blame BREXIT for the mess caused by a viral pandemic originating in China. LOL.
    Of course Brexit didn't start corovid19 but it did:

• Encourage a mistrust in experts
    • Negatively impact on NHS staffing levels (which we are now desperately short off)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-eu-staff-quit
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It had also caused a drop of in EU workers wanting to come to the UK, and this will include a large number of farm workers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    It had also caused a drop of in EU workers wanting to come to the UK, and this will include a large number of farm workers.
    Virtually all the fruit pickers are migrant labour. Many came from the other EU countries where wages are shit; Romania for example. The fall of the pound and the general level of deeply unpleasant attitude by half our society has/had already put off a lot of these and the government was about to open the borders to people from non-EU countries as a result. Ironically a lot of farmers did want to leave the EU as a lot of them are thick as pig shit. Big landowners also wanted to leave to get more tax avoidance.

Not many UK workers want to pick fruit as it is seasonal work and away from home. If you are on any kind of benefit you are better off staying on it as the government have made it hard (on purpose) to claim and when the seasonal work has finished you get shafted again when you go back home and sign on.

As the Tories have now decided they are somewhat to the left of Corbyn and the red tops are all in favour of borrowing ourselves into bankruptcy as it is the Tories doing it not Labour we might get lucky and people might be allowed to take this seasonal work without getting hammered by the dole office. I worked for Geest many years back and they bussed people in from "up North" and there was no shortage of people willing to do seasonal, casual work. The people that turned up were generally hard working decent people just pleased to earn a few bob. I am sure there are still such people and the Britannia Unchained view that the Brits are lazy, useless tossers is wrong.

I have offered to help out with the cows if needed. The missus has been cooing over the baby calves but to be honest I was more thinking veal recipes.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast