Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Working from home - tips ....

So, who is working from home ?

Want to share some experiences and tips ?

Feel free to add ...

I'll start

1. Get dressed - eat breakfast, shower, dress and "commute" to your new normal desk / table / sofa at normal work time.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yep done all those but our broadband is shocking 0.3MPS, set everything up in the dining room but not getting enough signal there so having to use the sofa which is not ideal but where I get best connection. Had a video conference with my co-workers earlier but it was microphone only from my end and even that was dropping in and out.

2.It has been recommended to get up and move around hourly to break up the day and to if possible check in with co-workers daily. (We spent yesterday setting up Microsoft Teams for that sole reason.)
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    set everything up in the dining room but not getting enough signal there so having to use the sofa which is not ideal but where I get best connection
    if its WiFi inside the house you're struggling with have you tried powerline adapters to create a wired network connected to your router instead of Wifi ?

1. Get dressed - eat breakfast, shower, dress and "commute" to your new normal desk / table / sofa at normal work time.
    2. It has been recommended to get up and move around hourly to break up the day and to if possible check in with co-workers daily. (We spent yesterday setting up Microsoft Teams for that sole reason.)
    3. Eat lunch. At lunchtime. Don't just graze instead.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yep, we've started using Slack as department and individual project message boards to save hundreds of emails.

Top tip: if you've got a video call you only need to dress smartly above the waist, no-one will know if you're still wearing pyjama bottoms.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Top tip: if you've got a video call you only need to dress smartly above the waist, no-one will know if you're still wearing pyjama bottoms.
    Many people don't wear pyjamas!

I've been told to work from home as of tomorrow. I'm in the office today, and I think there are more people in my house!

We've set up a daily "coffee break" team conference call for everyone to check in. We mihgt drop that to every other day depending on how it goes.

I'm fortunate enough to get 100Mbps at home - are you using a dial up connection caz?

The rest of my household are in school, either as pupils (year 11 and 13, so both preparign for exams) or as a teacher (primary) so until the schools close, I am on my own at home.
    Last edited by Nickpicks; 18-03-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    So, who is working from home ?

Want to share some experiences and tips ?

Feel free to add ...

I'll start

2. have a space if possible that is your 'office', dress properly (remember you may still have to facetime/skype/teams/webex/other video call your colleagues and customers so look the part)
    3. Keep a regular schedule, start and finish on time and set your alarm to remind yourself to take a proper lunch break and clock out at the end of the day.
    4. If you have other family members at home, have rules (and maybe a sign) for not interrupting you, office door closed 'I am on a conference call - do not disturb' door open 'please do offer to make me a cuppa :-) etc.
    5. If your company IT and the quality of internet allows, use video calls, it's nice to really see your colleagues instead of just hear them, but make sure your background is presentable ;-)
    6. Don't be afraid to take coffee breaks, my boss has an uncanny ability to try and call me whenever I am away for my desk, it's normal.
    7. Stop and appreciate how much less of your day you waste commuting and how pleasant it feels to finish work, close your laptop and just be home as if you teleported.
    8. If you work in a team and you don't usually have a daily meeting, make a short informal virtual one to replace the 'coffee machine/water cooler chat' so you still feel like you work together.
    9. It's normal for kids or other family members to occasionally walk into your online meetings -> smile and say hello, don't be embarrassed.
    10. Pretend there is nothing but coffee/tea in the house until lunchtime (I am terrible for snacking when working at home 'cos the fridge and biscuit cupboard is just right there)
    11. Message/mail your colleagues good morning and good bye as if you were in the office

Home worker already, situation normal for me!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If your company is not already onto such things - slack & microsoft teams are really good tools for a team of people to work together / call / message / video call etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For the sake of your back and to avoid RSI - Get a good chair and desk (maybe your company will let you take one home? ) and setup your screen at a sensible height (I've got a 5 amazon basics laptop stand, on top of an old cardbaord box and a hardback book..) and use a real keyboard and mouse if you can instead of crunching your hands over your little portable keyboard and touch pad.

https://www.unison.org.uk/content/up...ogue172943.pdf

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    2. It has been recommended to get up and move around hourly to break up the day and to if possible check in with co-workers daily. (We spent yesterday setting up Microsoft Teams for that sole reason.)
    3. Eat lunch. At lunchtime. Don't just graze instead
    2. have a space if possible that is your 'office', dress properly (remember you may still have to facetime/skype/teams/webex/other video call your colleagues and customers so look the part)
    3. Keep a regular schedule, start and finish on time and set your alarm to remind yourself to take a proper lunch break and clock out at the end of the day.
    4. If you have other family members at home, have rules (and maybe a sign) for not interrupting you, office door closed 'I am on a conference call - do not disturb' door open 'please do offer to make me a cuppa :-) etc.
    5. If your company IT and the quality of internet allows, use video calls, it's nice to really see your colleagues instead of just hear them, but make sure your background is presentable ;-)
    6. Don't be afraid to take coffee breaks, my boss has an uncanny ability to try and call me whenever I am away for my desk, it's normal.
    7. Stop and appreciate how much less of your day you waste commuting and how pleasant it feels to finish work, close your laptop and just be home as if you teleported.
    8. If you work in a team and you don't usually have a daily meeting, make a short informal virtual one to replace the 'coffee machine/water cooler chat' so you still feel like you work together.
    9. It's normal for kids or other family members to occasionally walk into your online meetings -> smile and say hello, don't be embarrassed.
    10. Pretend there is nothing but coffee/tea in the house until lunchtime (I am terrible for snacking when working at home 'cos the fridge and biscuit cupboard is just right there)
    11. Message/mail your colleagues good morning and good bye as if you were in the office
    12.slack & microsoft teams are really good tools for a team of people to work together / call / message / video call etc
    13. For the sake of your back and to avoid RSI - Get a good chair and desk and setup your screen at a sensible height and use a real keyboard and mouse if you can instead of crunching your hands over your little portable keyboard and touch pad.

14. don't start numbered lists you will then feel obliged to maintain and collate as people add to them ...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did a fair bit of work from home for all the time I worked as an analyst. I used the small bedroom as an office and shut myself in there as needed. One thing is annoying; all the pillocks that come to the door and try to sell you double glazing/sky tv/cavity wall insulation/god. Ignore the door bell at all costs. If you were at work you would not have known they were there or had visited. If you have postal or other deliveries you will think every door bell is something you are waiting for and be interrupted.

Nowadays there is Skype and the like so you could check out the girl in accounts virtually. I was always freelance so worked hours that suited me and only ever was available by mobile phone so I could be in my place in France and still "at work". (To be fair used to go there and then on to Barcelona for Roche client visits - dead handy). It's the distractions that are the issue, then you feel guilty and actually do more than you need to make up for the two hours you skived off. So avoid distractions - all of them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast