Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Are people still diving?

On the one hand I see nice shore dive (where those are available) as potentially a very nice break from period of extended boredom ahead of us while contacting an absolute minimum number of people.
    On the other hand I am conscious that if I were to have DCI incident I would be adding to demand to our healthcare system at time when they are under growing pressure.

Perhaps best not to.....?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Are people still diving?

On the one hand I see nice shore dive (where those are available) as potentially a very nice break from period of extended boredom ahead of us while contacting an absolute minimum number of people.
    On the other hand I am conscious that if I were to have DCI incident I would be adding to demand to our healthcare system at time when they are under growing pressure.

Stay shallow and the chances of any problems will be slim ( so long as you keep one ear open for jetskis). Some of our best dives have been a max of about 5m. There's so much to see if you just look.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    I have seen similar.

Just at the moment we have a lot of frightened people in the world, with good reason. Frightened people do foolish things such as stockpiling food, or trying extend credit.

What is required is people to have confidence that the isolation measures will work. Similarly businesses need to have the confidence to keep trading with their customers and suppliers. The government has provided this massive confidence boost: VAT holiday, rates holiday, salary guarantees etc etc. So if I start asking to extend credit with suppliers, or to cancel direct debit instructions those suppliers are then going to become frightened. My bosses desire to hoard cash becomes self-defeating as other businesses are then forced to horde cash and nobody can spend any money. The economy as a whole needs everyone to keep the money circulating.
    I agree with that viewpoint. Sadly we got off to a bad start and many of us have little trust of the current government, something it is going to work very hard to overcome.

My business rates have gone up, no holiday for us. Turnover is down again after a beating post referendum. If my customers can hang on in there we might get through the year. Might.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Stay shallow and the chances of any problems will be slim ( so long as you keep one ear open for jetskis). Some of our best dives have been a max of about 5m. There's so much to see if you just look.
    Totally agree. I've had some great dives in 5M of water. It's too easy to get obsessed with going deep.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Are people still diving?

Had this chat this morning on the way to some sports training. I think you're right, in that perhaps we need to be a little more prudent, a little more risk averse. If we end up in A and E it's just tieing up NHS resources. But equally, we need to (try and) stay sane as best we can.

My personal take on it is to just stay well within limits.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Totally agree. I've had some great dives in 5M of water. It's too easy to get obsessed with going deep.
    I can remember a dive behind the pub on the causeway to Portland island. We were looking at the little wildlife. Over an hour in the water but only 17 minutes registered on the computer. Great dive.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Had a 76min dive yesterday on the alastor (prob N.Ireland's most popular shore dive) with pretty good vis, for there!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As expected, the low lifes among us are exploiting the opportunity

BBC News - Coronavirus: Warning of spike in scams linked to crisis
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51964507

Please, keep an eye on your neighbours, especially if they are elderly or vulnerable.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    Had a 76min dive yesterday on the alastor (prob N.Ireland's most popular shore dive) with pretty good vis, for there!
    What do you mean good vis when I did it. I could not see my fins and was told it was fairly normal. Did see a nudibranch.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dive? Lockdown here in Spain... they have police tape up on all of the beaches. Fav one for cave diving got washed away in a storm anyway!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast