Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    That photo is of the coffins of drowned migrants fro 2013. It is from Italy though.
    Why the f*** do people still see an emotive email/photo/meme/gif with large font and excessive use of punctuation and think 'I must share this factual news!' Could Facebook or twitter not implement an 'obvious fake' klaxxon?

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthD View Post
    Why the f*** do people still see an emotive email/photo/meme/gif with large font and excessive use of punctuation and think 'I must share this factual news!' Could Facebook or twitter not implement an 'obvious fake' klaxxon?
    One person I've spoken to a couple of times about this type of behaviour said " but why would anyone post it up in the first place if it's not true?"

A chap was interviewed on the news about the erroneous anti-virus instructions that he's been posting up that have been shared/followed thousands of times said that everything he posted he believed to be true at the time of posting. He argued that if someone pointed out that it was wrong, he amended it, but he wasn't particularly apologetic about it.

I just showed my wife that pic of the coffins and her first reaction was "Dear God, that's bad", 'cos it looks that convincing. I won't repeat what she said when i told her it was fake.

We (well, some of us) tend to believe what we see at first viewing.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    Rebreather Tech Dive Reunion Party...... Inspiration Chapter

There I've fixed it for you

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    DEMA Show Rebreather Tech Dive Reunion Party...... Inspiration Chapter

There I've fixed it for you

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Made me laught twice.
    Good dubble post . Lol
    If you need shopping picking up Iain just let me know
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    One person I've spoken to a couple of times about this type of behaviour said " but why would anyone post it up in the first place if it's not true?"

A chap was interviewed on the news about the erroneous anti-virus instructions that he's been posting up that have been shared/followed thousands of times said that everything he posted he believed to be true at the time of posting. He argued that if someone pointed out that it was wrong, he amended it, but he wasn't particularly apologetic about it.

I just showed my wife that pic of the coffins and her first reaction was "Dear God, that's bad", 'cos it looks that convincing. I won't repeat what she said when i told her it was fake.

We (well, some of us) tend to believe what we see at first viewing.
    I pulled a (now ex) Facebook buddy up on a post he shared, containing innacurate scaremongering laden information about the Corona virus.

I directed him to some scientific papers that showed the post was largely incorrect, he admitted that it was, that the stuff in his post had no scientific basis what so ever. but still defended sharing the post around because making people take it seriously was more important than being accurate.

Some people simply don't understand how much damage adding opinion to fact or inflating/exaggerating the truth to try and prove a point can do.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Poor management

Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    The root obstacle for most companies is managers who measure performance by the time employees put in rather than what they produce.

Unfortunately, that’s unlikely to change once this crisis is over.
    Plus managers that totally over react.

Our company* has major trust issues with people working from home. So when we receive flexible working requests we have sometimes put up various business cases for the refusal. Now that we are effectively forced to have staff at home we will see who actually does some work and who does not. We don't need to speculate any more.
    Strangely enough "keep calm and carry" is a surprisingly effective policy. Having explained our business model to staff and how our cashflows work our staff have been very relieved and then got back to work.

I have had my company owner** insist on me producing some totally meaningless (to me) reports analysing who and how we pay various suppliers. My top boss believes he knows more about cashflow and cash mangement than I do.

* actually just one individual, and it is not me
    ** same person

I think that those corporate entities backed by venture capital with a lean cash approach, i.e. f*ck all cash kept in the company will soon discover that gearing, leverage, or maxing out borrowing facilities will cause those companies massive issues. I appreciate that the government has stepped in, however some managements are extremely short-termist and are more concerned with achieving a random target, than effectively managing the situation.

So I have a crazy f*cker telling me to cancel all our direct debits, so we can control our cashflow, and then in the next breath telling me to push out the direct debit forms to customers. Oh the irony.

Right then. rant over. I am off for a quick bike ride in my hazmat suit

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post

I think that those corporate entities backed by venture capital with a lean cash approach, i.e. f*ck all cash kept in the company will soon discover that gearing, leverage, or maxing out borrowing facilities will cause those companies massive issues. I appreciate that the government has stepped in, however some managements are extremely short-termist and are more concerned with achieving a random target, than effectively managing the situation.

So I have a crazy f*cker telling me to cancel all our direct debits, so we can control our cashflow, and then in the next breath telling me to push out the direct debit forms to customers. Oh the irony.
    Good, even better if it takes down a few VCs

Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    So I have a crazy f*cker telling me to cancel all our direct debits, so we can control our cashflow, and then in the next breath telling me to push out the direct debit forms to customers. Oh the irony
    Years ago a business advisor from Lloyds bank, seeking our business, advised us to extend all our payment terms by six weeks and sack the apprentice to save costs.

I was the apprentice.

Strangely, we have never had a business or personal bank account with Lloyds banking group.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Credit terms

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Years ago a business advisor from Lloyds bank, seeking our business, advised us to extend all our payment terms by six weeks and sack the apprentice to save costs.
    I have seen similar.

Just at the moment we have a lot of frightened people in the world, with good reason. Frightened people do foolish things such as stockpiling food, or trying extend credit.

What is required is people to have confidence that the isolation measures will work. Similarly businesses need to have the confidence to keep trading with their customers and suppliers. The government has provided this massive confidence boost: VAT holiday, rates holiday, salary guarantees etc etc. So if I start asking to extend credit with suppliers, or to cancel direct debit instructions those suppliers are then going to become frightened. My bosses desire to hoard cash becomes self-defeating as other businesses are then forced to horde cash and nobody can spend any money. The economy as a whole needs everyone to keep the money circulating.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    That photo is of the coffins of drowned migrants fro 2013. It is from Italy though.
    This is the Virus.

“Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast