X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnCheeky Monkey
    I used to be Cheeky
    • May 2018

The Kindness of Strangers / Paying it Forward

Amongst all the bad news (and there is more than enough of that to go round) we should share the good

I'll start

A young relative of mine is in a middle eastern country, working in a new job. That country is suddenly restricting travel. She does not have much money, is desperate to get home to be near family, including her mum who is in a very vulnerable condition despite not being old. I contacted someone I worked with who has contacted someone who has contacted someone. There is now a very small whatsapp group set up in which a person who has expertise in the country in question, and contacts, has made themself available to my young relative to give her advice and reassurance. It may not sound much, but to someone currently stranded a long way from home and scared this is huge, and a lovely gesture from someone who very many of you would have at least heard of if I were to name them.

p.s. and said person has just spent nearly an hour of their working day living up to that offer, making calls, making introductions to local people, all for a scared young stranger - utter legend
    Last edited by UnCheeky Monkey; 16-03-2020, 01:53 PM.
    Half the population of war-torn Yemen - 14 million people - are facing "pre-famine conditions", the UN has warned
  • John63
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

I live in the Middle East. Have been here a lot of years in different countries.

Let me know which country she is in ( pm if you prefer) and if I can help will let you know

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
      I used to be Cheeky
      • May 2018

Originally posted by UnCheeky Monkey
      Amongst all the bad news (and there is more than enough of that to go round) we should share the good

I'll start
      oh dear, no-one else ?

(p.s. my young cousin is now in the air and heading home)
      Half the population of war-torn Yemen - 14 million people - are facing "pre-famine conditions", the UN has warned

Comment

• MadUKDiver
        TDF Member
        • Aug 2014

Yesterday I put a message out on the local community FB page for some yeast for an NHS front line nurse who is self isolating due to CoVID-19 symptoms and wants to bake some bread. Within 5 mins someone offered the yeast and refused payment. Decent people abound, don't be fooled by the media into thinking we're surrounded by cnuts!
        “We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe of death” -- David Sarnoff

Comment

• John63
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by UnCheeky Monkey
          oh dear, no-one else ?

(p.s. my young cousin is now in the air and heading home)
          Glad to hear it.

Comment

• smileydiver
            Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
            • Dec 2012

My neighbour couldn't get flour anywhere. I found some in the trusty Turkish supermarket I am frequenting, bought some for her and left outside her door as she said she was missing baking. Two days later she left me some home made brownies she made with it as a thank you
            The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• smileydiver
              Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
              • Dec 2012

My neighbour and I are no longer strangers, we have continued the exchange of baking ingredients for baked goods. I buy her little treats as well when I spot stuff and this week she got a Tesco delivery slot and bought me a 24 pack of diet coke and some cordial as they are heavier items to walk back from the shops with. In this time of bad things, it's nice that some good things can happen too
              The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Working...