Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the result if you don't stop fishing in a conservation zone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is what happens when you do
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-isle-of-arran
    I've never been to a place (other than NZ 20 years ago) where the locals are so on board - anyone acting outside the rules is quickly reported and harassed, even if the government bodies do feck all.
    She said you know honey it's such a shame You'll never be any good at this game You bruise too easily

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Whilst anywhere where 'it remains legal to drag dredges and trawls across the ocean floor' is going to struggle it sound like sediment and nitrates pollution might have been the last straw!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The overfishing let the urchins thrive - nothing can recover while they're acting like little micro dredgers. The sewage and sediment are just adding insult to injury.
    She said you know honey it's such a shame You'll never be any good at this game You bruise too easily

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Crazy. I dived the Poor Knights Islands a few years back. The sheer level of marine life was incredible - but fishing there has been banned since 1998. Without good stewardship and enforcement, any 'reserve' is just a meaningless title which makes people assume the government are doing something, and hides the devastation being caused.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is a real shame because New Zealand was a world leader in conservation, both on land and in the water. I was living there when the no-fish zones were introduced and the enormous difference that they made. Far more effective than the stupid quotas of the Common Fisheries Policy.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    This is what happens when you do
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-isle-of-arran
    I've never been to a place (other than NZ 20 years ago) where the locals are so on board - anyone acting outside the rules is quickly reported and harassed, even if the government bodies do feck all.
    120million revenue raised by 1350 employees someone must be doing rather well out of it. No wonder they are bleating about a potential no take zone.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    This is a real shame because New Zealand was a world leader in conservation, both on land and in the water. I was living there when the no-fish zones were introduced and the enormous difference that they made. Far more effective than the stupid quotas of the Common Fisheries Policy.
    Sadly I think as hardcore neoliberal thinking has become more and more ingrained in NZ government groupthink, the commitment to envrionmental leadership has become little more than sloganeering for the tourist industry. I was in Welly a few years back and was absolutely shocked by state of the beaches and rivers.
    Exeter - Falmouth University BSAC #2551
    Twitter | Facebook | Instagram