Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 25 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand sanitiser

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance come across as credible diligent civil servants.

I wonder what is must be like having to do a press briefing beside Boris as his government get accused (with reason) of bungling the job. Is their advice heeded, how much are they having to take political line in what they say....?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren A View Post
    Excellent, best get yourself back under the covers until the panic subsides.
    That sort of jibe is really quite unnecessary.

Its been explained to you from several directions by several peope, if you look across the world, every single government (even the deranged orange baboon) is saying exactly the same thing. You've been provided links to stats, scientific papers, modelling studies that all say exactly the same thing.

That you can sit there in your rose tinted bubble and suggest its some elaborate con by the UK government is quite extraordinary, a small part of me is actually a tad envious.

But I don't see anyone on here panicking. I see people offering factual observations, practical advice, suggestions to help those around them that may be struggling. Basically stuff that may help people weather what will happen as best they can.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    That sort of jibe is really quite unnecessary.

Its been explained to you from several directions by several peope, if you look across the world, every single government (even the deranged orange baboon) is saying exactly the same thing. You've been provided links to stats, scientific papers, modelling studies that all say exactly the same thing.

That you can sit there in your rose tinted bubble and suggest its some elaborate con by the UK government is quite extraordinary, a small part of me is actually a tad envious.

But I don't see anyone on here panicking. I see people offering factual observations, practical advice, suggestions to help those around them that may be struggling. Basically stuff that may help people weather what will happen as best they can.
    +1
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A lot of people I speak to fall into the "it's all bollocks" category. My (warehouse) landlord was in yesterday and pushing that line again. (Just back from long weekend in LA).

It is, IMHO, what people want to be true so if they repeat it often enough they convince themselves it is true. No one can accurately predict the future so pick a future you want and stick to it.

As with Brexit I wish to be wrong and the current SARS turns out to be nothing, the UK does OK outside the EU and the idiot Tories somehow miraculously don't totally screw the economy. I want to be wrong and climate change is a Chinese hoax, the Great Barrier Reef will do fine and the coral will bounce back this year like never before. I want to be wrong and the fish stocks are far better than the doom mongers say and we can enjoy battered cod for ever. I hope the little clunk on my front suspension is just some mud and not an expensive repair. Oh I so want to be wrong about so many things. But the truth is that facing up to reality and doing something about it is the best course of action, not constantly repeating what you want to be true only to find it isn't.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren A View Post
    Excellent, best get yourself back under the covers until the panic subsides.
    I wish it were that simple.

Currently posting from Spain where we have been in total lockdown since Saturday evening.

Last Wednesday a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of Worldometer where the worlds Covid-19 figures are updated. At that time, Spain had around 1,900 cases, the majority in Madrid (Sound familiar?). At the time (7 days ago) it was more curiosity that kept me looking at the figures but by Saturday it was all becoming a bit surreal.

Bars and restaurants to close, shops to close, nobody out on the streets, police and military patroling and fineing for breaches. We are now 4 days in to, what is supposed to be, a 15 day lockdown - I suspect that this may well go on a lot longer.

The UK is currently in EXACTLY the same position as Spain was 7 days ago - Wake up, take action and protect yourselves and your families. What makes you think that you are so special that it will not happen to the UK??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Ruapehu or Ngauruhoe?
    We were doing the Tongariro Northern Circuit track ( 3 days camping) which joins the Tongariro one day crossing track to pass between Ngauruhoe and Togariro. This was facing north ie with Ngauruhoe behind us and Tongariro to the north behind the toilets.
    Had actually done it reverse of usual due to closure of trails for 3 days for Maori respect for a death on the mountain. (A tourist walker).

Last edited by Tim Digger; 18-03-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miraman View Post
    The UK is currently in EXACTLY the same position as Spain was 7 days ago - Wake up, take action and protect yourselves and your families. What makes you think that you are so special that it will not happen to the UK??
    Thank you for sharing this

We (UK) need to learn from your experiences

I hope you and your loved ones are all OK in the long run

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    Thank you for sharing this

We (UK) need to learn from your experiences

I hope you and your loved ones are all OK in the long run
    +1 and the only hug I can give you is a virtual one!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    today's thought for the day from me (well, OK, the Yorkshire Post) ....

Page 25 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast