X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neilwood
    Established TDF Member
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Darren A
    So everyone should be scared and panicked about infections that maybe there - but we are not sure.

I bet that within a few weeks infection rates will be zero and tens
    If not hundreds of thousands of people will have lost their jobs,
    And if they didn't instigate the partial lock down, hundreds of thousands would likely be dead in a few weeks (using the model that has been developed from other countries outbreaks). The predictions were 250,000 or more DEATHS if left unchecked.

Italy are suffering to the point that over 80's will likely get NO treatment (apologies for the torygraph link)

Better a few weeks of financial pain (which will most likely be mitigated by some unprecedented steps from government, banks, businesses etc such as mortgage holidays, business rate freezes, preferential loan rates etc) than thousands of deaths.

Comment

• Darren A
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by UnCheeky Monkey
      I used to respect you and your posts but this claptrap is irresponsible as well as stupid
      Fine, let’s just see how it pans out.

I fear for Virus X, this just isn’t it.

Comment

• Barrygoss
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Yep, agree, this isn’t a world killer. It’s 12-14 weeks of an overloaded healthcare system and a load of boomer remover

Want to kill your parents?

The morbidity rates for the boomer generation aren’t nice.

B
        Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
          I used to be Cheeky
          • May 2018

Read this and stop being such a flat earther

Sir Patrick Vallance said the government's aim was for fewer than 20,000 people to die with 55,000 people expected to be infected.

I'm genuinely appalled that anyone who can tie their own shoelaces can be so wilfully blind to the best available evidence

Vallance wants testing ramped up. The WHO wants testing ramped up. We have screwed up hugely on testing and as a result have to work from the best scientific estimate available which is 55,000 actual cases.

Attitudes like yours make the case for aggressive imposed and enforced restrictions in movement and civil liberties
          Half the population of war-torn Yemen - 14 million people - are facing "pre-famine conditions", the UN has warned

Comment

• Neilwood
            Established TDF Member
            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Barrygoss
            Yep, agree, this isn’t a world killer. It’s 12-14 weeks of an overloaded healthcare system and a load of boomer remover

Want to kill your parents?

The morbidity rates for the boomer generation aren’t nice.

B
            That is exactly the issue. Italy have crossed the threshold in a number of regions where the choice has been made to stop treating over 80's to allow ITU beds to be used for people who are more likely to survive.

Comment

• Darren A
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Hand sanitiser

Read this and stop being such a flat earther

Sir Patrick Vallance said the government's aim was for fewer than 20,000 people to die with 55,000 people expected to be infected.

I'm genuinely appalled that anyone who can tie their own shoelaces can be so wilfully blind to the best available evidence

Vallance wants testing ramped up. The WHO wants testing ramped up. We have screwed up hugely on testing and as a result have to work from the best scientific estimate available which is 55,000 actual cases.

Attitudes like yours make the case for aggressive imposed and enforced restrictions in movement and civil liberties
              As I said, let’s wait and see. I suspect the rate of growth will reduce over the next few weeks, then Boris will claim credit, but warn that growth was damaged by CV not brexit.

Comment

• SteveI
                TDF Member
                • Oct 2015

Here are some sobering numbers:

COVID-19 Infectio fatality ratio (IFR) - 0.9%
                4.4% of infections are hospitalised
                30% of those hospitalised will require critical care
                50% of those in critical care will die
                Estimated R0 (number of cases each one infected person will pass the virus to) is 2.4
                Without all the isolation measures (and much more) 81% of the GB population will be infected during the epidemic.
                Equivelant to approximately extra 510.000 death in the UK and 2.2 million death in the US.

Quote: "For an uncontrolled epidemic, we predict critical care bed capacity would be exceeded as early as the second week in April, with an eventual peak in ICU or critical care bed demand that is over 30 times greater than the maximum supply in both countries ".

Let's stop worrying about the ecomonical impact for this year.

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
                  I used to be Cheeky
                  • May 2018

As I said, let’s wait and see. I suspect the rate of growth will reduce over the next few weeks, then Boris will claim credit, but warn that growth was damaged by CV not brexit.
                  Here is the actual science from actual experts

This is the report the government u turn is based on

The 'wait and see' approach would have resulted in literally millions of deaths (the 250k figure assumed all were treated but the NHS would have been overwhelmed 8 times over so the figure would have been millions)

I'm really quite angry at your pathetic indifference
                  Half the population of war-torn Yemen - 14 million people - are facing "pre-famine conditions", the UN has warned

Comment

• Darren A
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

I used to respect you and your posts
                    I joined the Yorkshire Divers forum in 1999, various things have happened, but many of the same members then are members now (apart from a few cocks who have left - BTS/NDY cough cough.

Anyway, no one has every said that about my posts - regardless of anything you say/post - I love u xx 😘

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
                      I used to be Cheeky
                      • May 2018

I joined the Yorkshire Divers forum in 1999, various things have happened, but many of the same members then are members now (apart from a few cocks who have left - BTS/NDY cough cough.

Anyway, no one has every said that about my posts - regardless of anything you say/post - I love u xx 😘
                      What can I say. I was wrong.

Comment

• Darren A
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

I'm really quite angry at your pathetic indifference
                        And I’m really quite angry about the scaremongering you are touting which is driving the panic buying in shops

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
                          I used to be Cheeky
                          • May 2018

And I’m really quite angry about the scaremongering you are touting which is driving the panic buying in shops
                          Read. The. Science.

Listen to Vallance.

It is not scaremongering you utter cock

Comment

• Darren A
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

you utter cock
                            #benice

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
                              I used to be Cheeky
                              • May 2018

Can’t see it :-)

Worked out how to use the Ignore List function

Much better

For anyone not terminally (possibly quite literally) stupid who is interested that Imperial report is pretty sobering but worth a look to understand the competing pretty awful choices

Comment

• Darren A
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Dec 2012

Can’t see it :-)

Worked out how to use the Ignore List function

Much better
                                Excellent, best get yourself back under the covers until the panic subsides.

Comment

Working...