Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 695

Thread: Hand sanitiser

  1. #341
    Established TDF Member jamesp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wrexham
    Posts
    4,744
    Likes (Given)
    2566
    Likes (Received)
    1689
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    You dont have time on a long enough timeframe the chances of survival are zero
    But the newer second laboratory, The Wuhan Institute of Virology in Wuhan China would be an interesting place to start.

    The so called second Institute in Wuhan is well known as being linked to Bejing's covert bio weapons program and is reputed to be the
    only pathogen level 4 facility in China. Alternatively you may take the view its all caused by a Bat in the soup.
    One of the "mums" at the daughters school, has a Phd in Virology.
    We were chatting at a kids birthday party, She mentioned that the company she used to work at had facilities at Porton Down, where she had worked.

    I said "better air-conditioning?"

    All I got was "Hmm, you tend not to think about it so much when your younger"


    Having seen the Chinese markets in Hong Kong, I would be prepared to accept that "anything goes" (literally) in the soup, it will probably be really fresh though; probably still kicking.

  2. #342
    Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    720
    Likes (Given)
    621
    Likes (Received)
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    You mentioned the "nasty virus" before, nearly everyone I spoke to locally after Christmas, had been laid low to some degree over the Christmas break with "something": generally a pathetic, persistent cough, then wiped out in bed for a couple of days.
    Shaking it seems to have been anything from a a couple of days, to a couple of weeks or more.
    I had three days between xmas and new year laid up in bed, which is almost a first for me (norovirus being the other exception), friend of mine has only just got his 10k times back to where he was pre illness at Christmas.

    Curious if that was just a n other seasonal bug, or has this bastard been floating about for a while un-labelled?
    an interesting study suggests maybe up to half the population may have already been infected:

    https://www.livescience.com/half-the...s-covid19.html or https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-...f-41bea055720b

  3. #343
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Broadway Cotswolds
    Posts
    1,456
    Likes (Given)
    148
    Likes (Received)
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    One of the "mums" at the daughters school, has a Phd in Virology.
    We were chatting at a kids birthday party, She mentioned that the company she used to work at had facilities at Porton Down, where she had worked.

    I said "better air-conditioning?"

    All I got was "Hmm, you tend not to think about it so much when your younger"


    Having seen the Chinese markets in Hong Kong, I would be prepared to accept that "anything goes" (literally) in the soup, it will probably be really fresh though; probably still kicking.
    Isn’t Porton Down a 7 mile cab ride down wind from the epicentre of that faulty (Russian) Nina Ricci Premier Jour perfume bottle.

    Death cab for cutie.

  4. #344
    bottlefish Stuart Keasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London (sometimes)
    Posts
    2,255
    Likes (Given)
    1387
    Likes (Received)
    1641
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    You mentioned the "nasty virus" before, nearly everyone I spoke to locally after Christmas, had been laid low to some degree over the Christmas break with "something": generally a pathetic, persistent cough, then wiped out in bed for a couple of days.
    Shaking it seems to have been anything from a a couple of days, to a couple of weeks or more.
    I had three days between xmas and new year laid up in bed, which is almost a first for me (norovirus being the other exception), friend of mine has only just got his 10k times back to where he was pre illness at Christmas.

    Curious if that was just a n other seasonal bug, or has this bastard been floating about for a while un-labelled?
    I did wonder the same; I got ill at the start of December with a sore throat, then had breathing issues pretty much up until New Years eve. But I think we would have been aware if it was Covid 19, from the increased amount of people needing hospital treatment and worse.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

  5. #345
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    8,267
    Likes (Given)
    805
    Likes (Received)
    3655
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    ...
    Having seen the Chinese markets in Hong Kong, I would be prepared to accept that "anything goes" (literally) in the soup, it will probably be really fresh though; probably still kicking.
    This is a novel form of SARS as best I understand it. SARS was thought to have come from animal-human contact (https://www.who.int/ith/diseases/sars/en/) and possibly some of the more dubious things that are widely available on the illegal markets in South East Asia. Better enforcement (any at all) of existing laws on eating "exotics" might just have avoided this whole thing. Hey ho - no one listens to us "greenies" do they?

    AIDS almost certainly came from eating apes/monkeys in the illegal bushmeat trade in Africa (now global). Some enforcement of that would have probably prevented that outbreak too.

    Maybe, just maybe, as this reality sinks in to the general population there is a chance - a small one - that it is about time to take seriously all the things that tiresome, irritating, annoying, whining people like me have been going on about (and on and on and on) for years (and years and years).

  6. #346
    Cheeky Monkey... Paul Evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Three Bridges
    Posts
    2,594
    Likes (Given)
    4254
    Likes (Received)
    1079
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    You dont have time on a long enough timeframe the chances of survival are zero
    But the newer second laboratory, The Wuhan Institute of Virology in Wuhan China would be an interesting place to start.

    The so called second Institute in Wuhan is well known as being linked to Bejing's covert bio weapons program and is reputed to be the
    only pathogen level 4 facility in China. Alternatively you may take the view its all caused by a Bat in the soup.
    https://www.biospace.com/article/sto...atural-origin/

    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

  7. #347
    Cheeky Monkey... Paul Evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Three Bridges
    Posts
    2,594
    Likes (Given)
    4254
    Likes (Received)
    1079
    Reuters: Italian scientists investigate possible earlier emergence of coronavirus.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21D2IG
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

  8. #348
    bottlefish Stuart Keasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London (sometimes)
    Posts
    2,255
    Likes (Given)
    1387
    Likes (Received)
    1641
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    Reuters: Italian scientists investigate possible earlier emergence of coronavirus.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21D2IG
    Sorry Paul, hit Dislike by mistake, shouldve been a Like
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

  9. #349
    Established TDF Member Paulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    13,265
    Likes (Given)
    5255
    Likes (Received)
    4733
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    Reuters: Italian scientists investigate possible earlier emergence of coronavirus.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21D2IG
    I actually said this in January to one of the lads at work who had a bad dose at the time
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

    Illegitimi non carborundum

  10. #350
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    3rd rock from the sun
    Posts
    1,631
    Likes (Given)
    255
    Likes (Received)
    390
    Interesting Spectator article written by a pathologist, Dr John Lee/
    "How deadly is the coronavirus? It’s still far from clear. There is room for different interpretations of the data"
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...ar-as-we-think

    Interesting points about the wide variation of fatality rates, from the near 10% in Italy to the 0.5% elsewhere such as Germany.


 
Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •