Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 34 of 70 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand sanitiser

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My OH who is a retired ITU consultant has been called up. He returns to work on Monday, we are now re-arranging the house so we can isolate from each other. We both have underlying health conditions and I have a continuing chronic cough from a very nasty virus I got just before Christmas. As Iamyourgasman says C-19 is making young people ill its a pity footage of them is not shown as then hopefully the pig ignorants will take notice but as I have said before you cannot fix stupid.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    My OH who is a retired ITU consultant has been called up. He returns to work on Monday, we are now re-arranging the house so we can isolate from each other. We both have underlying health conditions and I have a continuing chronic cough from a very nasty virus I got just before Christmas. As Iamyourgasman says C-19 is making young people ill its a pity footage of them is not shown as then hopefully the pig ignorants will take notice but as I have said before you cannot fix stupid.
    You mentioned the "nasty virus" before, nearly everyone I spoke to locally after Christmas, had been laid low to some degree over the Christmas break with "something": generally a pathetic, persistent cough, then wiped out in bed for a couple of days.
    Shaking it seems to have been anything from a a couple of days, to a couple of weeks or more.
    I had three days between xmas and new year laid up in bed, which is almost a first for me (norovirus being the other exception), friend of mine has only just got his 10k times back to where he was pre illness at Christmas.

Curious if that was just a n other seasonal bug, or has this bastard been floating about for a while un-labelled?

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    You mentioned the "nasty virus" before, nearly everyone I spoke to locally after Christmas, had been laid low to some degree over the Christmas break with "something": generally a pathetic, persistent cough, then wiped out in bed for a couple of days.
    Shaking it seems to have been anything from a a couple of days, to a couple of weeks or more.
    I had three days between xmas and new year laid up in bed, which is almost a first for me (norovirus being the other exception), friend of mine has only just got his 10k times back to where he was pre illness at Christmas.

Curious if that was just a n other seasonal bug, or has this bastard been floating about for a while un-labelled?
    If that is the case, perhaps some of the population will have some immunity. Hopefully Caz is one of them.

Arranging your house so that you can help others. Beggers belief how great some people are. When this is all over, I reckon we should have a TDF get together and buy some drinks for those deserving.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am also extremely curious as at my place of work we have a fair few Chinese who did seem to travel back and forth a lot. Workplace closed completely last week so we are all working from home but also having virtual meetings via microsoft teams and zoom.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamyourgasman View Post
    Right folks, apologies for the delivery, but not for the content. I'm a bit highly strung these days. As you see in the news the Gwent area is the Welsh hotspot, mostly thanks to the people thinking like our fellow diver.
    I have the dubious pleasure to lead the critical care response across Wales, so I see official figures and forecasts before they are released. We haven't seen anything yet and there is a palpable fear that the lockdown order was actually too late. I hope our forecasters are very wrong, but with AI assisted technology it seems unlikely .
    We have looked after now 10+ patients on the ICU. We have been good as everyone is still alive and some are back on the normal wards. Those who came to us because of respiratory failure due to COVID19 spend at least 10-14 days on life support. It doesn't seem to just hit the elderly and the patients with comorbidities. We have fit and well patients on the ICU. Also our staff has been decimated: at this moment 5 out of 8 consultants are off with COVID19 related illness either themselves our in their family. Before this year, the only Consultant sickness was related to maternity... Two of the colleagues are in the superhuman/superimmune group and I hope to join them next week, when I can return to work. Similar ratios going through the junior doctors and the nurses. It is real. Please stay at home, don't be a moron. I promise to to work my butt off to try to get as many patients through this as possible. I really hope we can go back to arguing about why rEvo is the best rebreather...
    Heck this thread is about hand sanitiser, I came back on to revise my first post.

No matter. They haven't told you yet, have they. There is no more spare capacity of oxygen in the entire country to drive these additional life support ventilators with. Even the old Oxford Penlon Mark 1's that were modified for hyperbaric use are being dusted off and re greased.
    MDD directive of not we are at a point where the only spare oxygen around is lying in a pool of grease at your local scrap yard or your LDS under the brand of Safe Air Nitrox

Your rEvo may end up being useful piece of kit after all for a few hours. Just saying.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    I am also extremely curious as at my place of work we have a fair few Chinese who did seem to travel back and forth a lot. Workplace closed completely last week so we are all working from home but also having virtual meetings via microsoft teams and zoom.
    I am a little more open minded than "blame it on the chinks", whilst we have a limited number of Chinese students in the local uni, and a much larger Chinese population in the North West; given the concentration of manufacturing in the Wuhan Hubei area and the modern interconnected world of "buy it from as far away as possible" with buyers and "quality engineers"* jetting here and there to demonstrate the size of their egos, I am more than willing to believe that it got imported to China from else where.
    Maybe we had covid 18 before Christmas, and it got exported and mutated to C19 over there and came back??

Time may tell, it would be really interesting to get the anti body tests though, just to find out if there was a link.

There were a lot of people down with "lurgy" in mid to late December.

* other terms exist, like "wankers".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Heck this thread is about hand sanitiser, I came back on to revise my first post.

No matter. They haven't told you yet, have they. There is no more spare capacity of oxygen in the entire country to drive these additional life support ventilators with. Even the old Oxford Penlon Mark 1's that were modified for hyperbaric use are being dusted off and re greased.
    MDD directive of not we are at a point where the only spare oxygen around is lying in a pool of grease at your local scrap yard or your LDS under the brand of Safe Air Nitrox

Your rEvo may end up being useful piece of kit after all for a few hours. Just saying.
    Air Products used to make the fractionating systems for extracting oxygen up the road from here.

It got shut down in ~2007 and production moved to China, as it was "cheaper".

Not heard of any engineering companies struggling to get gas recently though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    If that is the case, perhaps some of the population will have some immunity. Hopefully Caz is one of them.

Arranging your house so that you can help others. Beggers belief how great some people are. When this is all over, I reckon we should have a TDF get together and buy some drinks for those deserving.
    If I am immune my OH should also be immune as he also had it. Very importantly my elderly but fit and healthy mother who caught it from me despite me keeping my distance from her is also immune. However as serological testing kits are not currently available we have no way of knowing so are not taking any chances.
    Last edited by cazyoung; 26-03-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am a little more open minded than "blame it on the chinks",
    given the concentration of manufacturing in the Wuhan Hubei area a
    I am more than willing to believe that it got imported to China from else where.
    Time may tell.
    You dont have time on a long enough timeframe the chances of survival are zero
    But the newer second laboratory, The Wuhan Institute of Virology in Wuhan China would be an interesting place to start.

The so called second Institute in Wuhan is well known as being linked to Bejing's covert bio weapons program and is reputed to be the
    only pathogen level 4 facility in China. Alternatively you may take the view its all caused by a Bat in the soup.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Air Products used to make the fractionating systems for extracting oxygen up the road from here.

It got shut down in ~2007 and production moved to China, as it was "cheaper".

Not heard of any engineering companies struggling to get gas recently though.
    Maybe because they are not breathing it yet I guess. Industrial production is only just keeping pace with demand
    The plant over at Shotton on Deeside needed 5 liquid tankers a day just to keep things ticking over on a standard service interval.
    Nothing spare available in UK and consideration to import it from over the channel is a considered option and not
    for the first time. Only last time it was a dollar and cents call with the truckers.
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 26-03-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Page 34 of 70 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast