Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Horn View Post
    James, OSEL have never sold nor even offered to the recreational market a rebreather with a controller. Other than the one the diver is fitted with....

The iCCR Monitor is an End-Tidal CO2 and PPO2 with solid state sensors PPO2 Monitor and auto-bailout. Note no mention of a controller! It just plugs into the Apoc CCRs.

Graham, as an evolutionary prototype there were a number of variants of the Apoc demo'd and dived. The wheels were a concept to meet OH&S weight lifting concerns but then it was so light that wasn't a serious factor and they were removed in lieu of an integrated 2L cylinder cavity.

BTW, what has gone out of production? If you are trying to allude that the Apoc Type IV CCR has, sorry to advise you otherwise as OSEL continue to routinely sell them to divers whom are genuinely interested in the benefits of the performance they offer and the integrated functional safety. Not to mention the very similar looking but non-mag Military Incursion BMR version.
    How are TecnipFMC (The company has changed a bit its been so long) and Statoil doing with your "Hugely over complicated Bail out system" oh yeah......... They are using the SLS...............
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    James, OSEL have never sold nor even offered to the recreational market a rebreather with a controller. Other than the one the diver is fitted with....

The iCCR Monitor is an End-Tidal CO2 and PPO2 with solid state sensors PPO2 Monitor and auto-bailout. Note no mention of a controller! It just plugs into the Apoc CCRs.
    End tidal CO2 monitoring... ffs... here we go again.

New decade same vapourware

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    How are TecnipFMC (The company has changed a bit its been so long) and Statoil doing with your "Hugely over complicated Bail out system" oh yeah......... They are using the SLS...............
    divex COBRA these days

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham, as an evolutionary prototype there were a number of variants of the Apoc demo'd and dived. The wheels were a concept to meet OH&S weight lifting concerns but then it was so light that wasn't a serious factor and they were removed in lieu of an integrated 2L cylinder cavity.

BTW, what has gone out of production? If you are trying to allude that the Apoc Type IV CCR has, sorry to advise you otherwise as OSEL continue to routinely sell them to divers whom are genuinely interested in the benefits of the performance they offer and the integrated functional safety. Not to mention the very similar looking but non-mag Military Incursion BMR version.
    No not alluding to Apoc was thinking of rebreathers made in Dorset. Rebreathers that I saw being used on boats and in quarries all around the UK I have never seen an Apoc being dived.

I do remember that the prototype I saw at the show was going to a fully controlled unit. This has never materialised.

Until a working fully controlled CCR capable of diving 100 meters plus is available for anybody with £10,000 to spend, then you and Alex have minimal credibility.

Graham

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Its kinda hard to beat an imaginary rebreather - just like your imaginary friend and the young earth brigade
    Remind us again - do you actually dive?
    Just got back LOL How the heck did I miss this.

It's easy son, First all you need is faith, it exists you just need a little of it.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
    For by it the elders obtained a good report.
    Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God,
    so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

Is a good reference point.

As for the young earth thats a kind of a relative question based on the concept of time being based
    relative to the observer. On one hand you have it in Einsteins Special theory of relativity.
    On the other you have it from Gods perspective.

Again you can find it easy written in the Bible new testiment:

"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

Both say the same thing, that time is relative to the observer. Just one predates the other and is is more elegant.

And yes I still dive occasionally with old friends in warm waters. I am a retired offshore commercial diver.
    Was offshore with a number of companies both on platforms and DSV's. for Sub Sea Services, Stolt Nielsen Seaway
    Comex and a number of others and have worked in the diving industry for more companies than I care to remember.
    If you need the CV or any of my Professional commercial divers log books I'm more than happy to share
    But would prefer to swap them for an in date medical. I do have a BSAC 2nd classs blue diver logbook from 1973 if that counts. LOL

Consider yourself reminded. Iain

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Iain were you involved in the Edinburgh gold salvage? Listened to a talk about it,. I hope you weren't tasked with cleaning the chambers prior to the dive.

Graham

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Iain were you involved in the Edinburgh gold salvage? Listened to a talk about it,. I hope you weren't tasked with cleaning the chambers prior to the dive.

Graham
    No. I dont know anything about it I thought Edinburgh was a city. No comment.
    But I will say this that whatever you have been told is all you will be told.

My first salvage dive was on one of CalMacs old ferries the MV Lock Arkaig and to this day I cannot recall how the bell, the sternlight starboard lights
    and half her contents were washed away while we patched the hull and raised it. I do however recall certain techniques how to surface with four pulls two bells in navy dress suface supplied and other "Arts of craft"

One of which being not to comment on salvage in a public forum.

And to declare my afinty to King George and the right of the diver to remove from a vessel any such hinderence that he should declare
    a hazzard to his work.
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 19-03-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    No. I dont know anything about it I thought Edinburgh was a city. No comment.
    But I will say this that whatever you have been told is all you will be told.

My first salvage dive was on one of CalMacs old ferries the MV Lock Arkaig and to this day I cannot recall how the bell, the sternlight starboard lights
    and half her contents were washed away while we patched the hull and raised it. I do however recall certain techniques how to surface with four pulls two bells in navy dress suface supplied and other "Arts of craft"

One of which being not to comment on salvage in a public forum.

And to declare my afinty to King George and the right of the diver to remove from a vessel any such hinderence that he should declare
    a hazzard to his work.
    Nudge nudge wink wink .

Bell what bell.

The talk I heard was by the diving supervisor. I can remember his name.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Nudge nudge wink wink .

Bell what bell.

The talk I heard was by the diving supervisor. I can remember his name.
    You can tie in the motley crew from the Edinburgh gold salvage through 2W Infabco, SSI Keith Jessop to the SLS mentioned above
    And then through the SLS eventually to Divex and then to Tecnip over to Open Safety and back to the closed circuit bell bailout rebreather.
    To do it properly you need to introduce a number of as yet un published players into the picture and the chances of that happening are slim to zero.

Another line is to trace SSI and 2W sat divers with a company called Oceaneering and a "salvage" saturation dive on the RMS Carpathia
    done a few months after the Edinburgh salvage as not many know about it as only pots and pans were listed on the manifest LOL

And from the RMS Carpathia dives you can get back to the Apocolypse rebreather and then we are nicly back on track and on topic.
    And I have nicely calmed the waters. All in your own best interest you understand.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Adds to the cost, slows deliveries down but results in a very low and by that I believe it to be zero, instance of faulty rebreather builds or components received by OSELs customers to date.
    From a customer who previously actually defended you a lot in the early YD days but then had an epiphany:

I had a leaking 02 valve that apparently 'I' allegedly tried to prize apart with a screwdriver (why???)...it later transpired that it had been previously used by an outside body for testing....strike one to Ian....grovelling apology and box of bog rolls....it took a lot of ranting though...

A case lid that despite their protestations and advice on how to attatch a lid, I was obviously doing it wrong, kept flying off evertime I hit the water...oh yeah, apparently after replacing it, then the new one not fitting, and two returns to the factory was fixed at great expense and man hours by them by shoving a washer under the tab.....Mmmmmm...clever. Strike 2 to Ian.

Oh yeah, and then there was the integral 02 bottle that was out of visual test three months after I bought it, and despite the good doktors reasurance that idest etc didnt know the rules ended up not bieng able to be tested in the uk due to the bizzarre thread size, but that wasnt osels fault, it was the regulations........that mission only took about ten emails, three phone calls and a million words....strike 3 to Ian.

Ah yes, then there was the 02 valve shutdown lever that I was promised that never materialised....but we all all know about that one......

Then the albov purge button that cracked and fecked off across the carpark in Malta effectivly ending the diving holiday.....apparently it was damaged in transit, obviously my fault....I think not, its a shit design basically.

Then the heartskipping moment I saw the bubbles from my dive buddies bailout as he tried to battle with the stuck open o2 manual add at 60mtrs......thank cluck I was on the boat at the time...the dive of course having been lost!! Why an instant recall on both the units they have sold was not immediate is beyond me....but what the hell eh?.....its a managable fault, and what harm is a bit of excess 02 at depth eh??

Then of course there is the never materialising refund for monies I apparently paid for some thing called 'risk' according to the good doktor....I got so pissed off listening to his nonsensical drivelling I actually put the phone down on him!!
    I was pretty clear that I had ordered a product that was fully certified and available for sale....but then of course the fact that I got it so cheaply should make up for that....the only little detail that seems to escape them is that I never feckin got it at all....bless eh?....the good doktors bizzarre and twisted logic is a peach to listen to!!!......strike 1 to OSEL.

And another customer on rebreatherworld:

I had a problem where the o-ring sealing the O2 injector failed on a dive, meaning that I had to feather the O2 for the rest of the dive. This happened right at the end of my bottom time and was more of an inconvenience than anything. It turned out the o-ring was shredded, not just nicked or deformed, which surprised me a little, anyway I changed it and kept diving.

On the next dive, the O2 started free-flowing shortly after I arrived at the max depth, around 65m! This was slightly more of an inconvenience but still easy enough to solve by feathering the cylinder off and on.

The free flow did not go away but I put up with it for a couple of dives feathering the oxygen (flame all you like, the problem was manageable). I dived like that for two more dives and then noticed on the third the free flow was gone. Happy days!

The Apoc performed well for the rest of the trip and I sent the injector away when I got home to Australia at the end of August. It's on it's way back now. The pictures of the injector I have seen show blackening, allegedly from an O2 fire from "dirty" oxygen, a problem that no-one else of the boat was afflicted with, but even if they were, it did not stop them diving and, hey, I was in Thailand, it's not like I get to choose where to get the oxygen from. There was also apparently corrosion from saltwater incursion. Again, my fault apparently and nothing to do with the shredded o-ring.

And another:

I had a couple of issues with the BOV including the purge button and a freeflowing issue, but the O2 injector has been fine so far. I go t a replacement for the original wing inflator, which leaked as well, so I put a generic Beaver inflator on it. I have been toying with the idea of selling it, as I don't need it, and have to thin down my toys, but I do actually like it, so not 100% decided there.

Brad, it seems my record of your company's quality control issues is more complete than yours. I would have thought an accurate record of these issues would be a pre-requisite for all those certifications you frequently boast about.

Simon M
    Last edited by simon mitchell; 26-03-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast