Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    With the likes of halcyon/strikalight batteries have you had any problems with those?

The old ones were never marked with Wh, that's a relatively recent thing.

Can't find anything in literature that says a battery that's been made from quality cells in a UK workshop is banned where one made of ultrafire copies in a chinese sweatshop is ok.
    I don't own any halcyon batteries anymore - but they chose very cheap cell for focus sot he battery is well below 100 Wh and its capacity is machined onto bottom of pack - that stopped all the issues with travel in Asia. China and Korea are the strictest places I have been and they check the markings of every battery they see on the x-ray

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    The old ones were never marked with Wh, that's a relatively recent thing.

Can't find anything in literature that says a battery that's been made from quality cells in a UK workshop is banned where one made of ultrafire copies in a chinese sweatshop is ok.
    See if you can find the IATA regs for lithium batteries. I used to be a qualified Dangerous Goods shipper and it's all detailed in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Maximum battery is 100 Wh, unless you have permission from the airline for up to 160 Wh

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/0...lectronics.pdf

Batteries also need to meet certain standards ("batteries must be of a type that meets the requirements of the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3")

If your batteries are not marked up with the Wh rating then I doubt very much that they they'd meet the standards (or at least they wouldn't be accepted as such by security staff).

For reference, I've been stopped more than once with 96Wh batteries, been sung chapter and verse by security then had to patiently show them the documentation, regs and markings on the battery to prove that they were allowed and within the regs. I personally wouldn't bother trying if I wasn't able to justify it.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12