X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James 1976
    TDF Member
    • May 2019

Equalising help

Hi hope someone can help, I more than often find it difficult to equalise my left ear, but sometimes i can do it without problems. I have been diving in the sea to 30m so I know I can do it and don't have any major disfunction with my ears. "Most of the time" when on dry land or indoors I cannot seem to equalise my left ear using the pinch and blow method. This often worries me, especially the night before a dive as i worry it will be a wasted journey. This evening for example, Im using an octovent balloon; sometimes I can hear my left ear cackle and pop, but another blow seconds later I cannot hear this crackling or popping, it seems odd. Is it possible while equalising on dry land, when the pressure is released (i.e I stop blowing/using a balloon) that the ear tube could remain in the open position, so that when the pinch blow is administered again (within seconds) it makes no discernible difference ?? Ive been practising equalising for the last hour and now my left ear feels slightly "dull" like its full up
  • Divemouse
    Pedantic Pig
    • Dec 2012

You've just made it unhappy - give it a rest. You won't necessarily hear crackles and pops anyway - my right ear (which is rubbish) does all that, but my left never does anything discernible at all.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Comment

• dangerousdan
      TDF Member
      • Jul 2019

Mine crackle and make funny noises all the time too. Still havent figured it out and definitive answers seem impossible to come by. Everyone I ask describes it differently. Let me know if you figure it out.

Comment

• MattJ
        TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

I have to equalise 2 different ways - one for each ear. Pinch and blow sorts my right ear - pinch and swallow (whilst tipping my head to the right to straighten any tubes?!) seems to work best for my left.

Comment

• James 1976
          TDF Member
          • May 2019

Originally posted by MattJ
          I have to equalise 2 different ways - one for each ear. Pinch and blow sorts my right ear - pinch and swallow (whilst tipping my head to the right to straighten any tubes?!) seems to work best for my left.
          Will deffo try that once back in the water; thing is i try all combinations of head movements blowing, tipping head to one side, looking up, making a "K" sound with the lounge while tightening the chest muscles ect ect ect; all sorts and eventually its sorted. Its just realising what it is exactly that does it, thats the issue with me at least i just dont know.

Comment

• Tim Digger
            Prior Member
            • Feb 2013

Opening your jaws and waggling them from side to side may help! This is difficult as conventional mouthpieces may fall out. An orthodontic moulded mouth piece may help enable this if trials while holding the mouthpiece in place show promise.
            Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
            Tim Digger

Comment

• Barnoe
              New TDF Member
              • Oct 2022

Id never had a problem before my last dive, my right ear in my case wasnt having any of it.
              got quite painful at one point, had to rise and blow harder.
              I had been on the beer all the day before.... so may have been dehydrated.

The next day i tested positive for covid too (still have it...stand back ) no idea if that has an effect
              Last edited by Barnoe; 01-11-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• notdeadyet
                Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
                • Jan 2013

I've found it hard to equalise in air like in chambers or diving with a helmet. Don't know why but the normal valsalva doesn't work for me, I have to use the swallow/Frenzel method. Fine underwater generally.

Try descending slower and equalising a lot more than you think you need to. Like it feels like you're equalising almost continually on the way down. If you wait til you feel it then it's usually too late and it'll be a lot harder to clear. And don't be afraid to go up a metre or two, sawtoothing a descent isn't the end of the world.
                Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• Dylona
                  TDF Member
                  • Feb 2021

When my ears are being a pain in the butt!!!! I take a 12 hour Sudafed to open the sinus a little - not the one with caffiene or any "super strong pack"

I also often do a sinus rinse the night before, its not pleasant but it helps loads

Comment

• Energy58
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jun 2014

Try "shooting" your lower jaw forward (think underbite) while gently blowing through your nose, that can be done with a regular mouthpiece. My experience is that the geography of the inside of everyones head is different so you need to find a method that works for you. Also start to clear immediately you get your head under the water - don't wait for it to become uncomfortable

Comment

• notdeadyet
                      Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Dylona
                      When my ears are being a pain in the butt!!!! I take a 12 hour Sudafed to open the sinus a little - not the one with caffiene or any "super strong pack"

I also often do a sinus rinse the night before, its not pleasant but it helps loads
                      I never take Sudafed when I'm diving. It's got known side effects on mood and anxiety. When I've used it in the past it makes me noticeably short-tempered and impatient. I know other divers that have said the same. There's a good chance of me making bad decisions underwater when I feel like that so I'd rather not touch it. I believe there's been some discussion of it potentially lowering the threshold for a CNS tox as well.
                      Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• Barnoe
                        New TDF Member
                        • Oct 2022

Originally posted by Energy58
                        My experience is that the geography of the inside of everyones head is different so you need to find a method that works for you. Also start to clear immediately you get your head under the water - don't wait for it to become uncomfortable
                        exactly this...

I find pulling down hardish on my ear lobe of the affected ear while i squeeze and blow my nose usually work for me.

Struggling to equalise can spoil your diving experience, and can just suddenly affect someone after several OK dives.
                        its a strange thing.

I had been on boats for 30 years without issue, then went sea fishing off Penzance and spent hours chuckin up over the sides turning myself inside out!!
                        sea sick once... whats that all about?

The body is a strange thing, well mine is lol

Comment

• Neilwood
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Energy58
                          Try "shooting" your lower jaw forward (think underbite) while gently blowing through your nose, that can be done with a regular mouthpiece. My experience is that the geography of the inside of everyones head is different so you need to find a method that works for you. Also start to clear immediately you get your head under the water - don't wait for it to become uncomfortable
                          I actually start "equalising" on the surface before I descend. It seems to help when I start the dive itself.

The main thing is equalise WAY more often than you think you need to. If it has become uncomfortable, you are not equalising enough. People forget that pressure differentials are highest at the surface so you need to equalise a lot more at shallower depths than when you get near your planned depth.

Comment

• PhilPage
                            Established TDF Member
                            • May 2014

Turning you ear towards the surface can help

Comment

Working...