Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What size hose length and colours for octopus?

Hi,

I need a new hose for my oct. At the moment I just have the standard length which came with the regs when I purchased them. To me it has always seemed too short, so I was wondering what length most people use, when they buy a new hose?

Also, I see there is a choice of colours these days. Does it really matter what colour the oct hose? Have the days of having a yellow octo hose long gone and as long as it is not black, does not really matter?

Many thanks

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Do you dive with the same buddy/buddies? Whats their input? They are the ones that may need it.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Do you dive with the same buddy/buddies? Whats their input? They are the ones that may need it.
    Hi,

I do not always dive with the same buddy and I dive abroad a lot, so I never quite know who my buddy may be or who will be in the group and may need help!

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Colour. Something that stands out from the rest of your kit and does not lose it's colour at depth.
    Length. What you decide is best after practising with a buddy. Long enough to do the job, short enough that it does not get in the way at other times.
    Sorry I can't be more specific, like all kit, it is a matter of personal choice.
    Remember that in a "panic" situation, the OOA diver will probably go for the first reg he/she sees. Quite often the one you are using. Practise that as well.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Depending what you decide, if you would like an unused yellow octopus hose of 91cm in length, Iíve one up for sale - £12.50 posted.

That said, I use a longer hose myself, hence this was removed when I bought the regs, so no worries if you decide to go in a different direction! If you do go for a longer hose, consider stowage - you donít want big loops of hose floating around behind you, or for the reg to be dangling away from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmE View Post
    Depending what you decide, if you would like an unused yellow octopus hose of 91cm in length, I’ve one up for sale - £12.50 posted.

That said, I use a longer hose myself, hence this was removed when I bought the regs, so no worries if you decide to go in a different direction! If you do go for a longer hose, consider stowage - you don’t want big loops of hose floating around behind you, or for the reg to be dangling away from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks for your offer. I have decided to go for a longer one and yes I have taken stowage into consideration. How do you configure the longer hose?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Many thanks for your offer. I have decided to go for a longer one and yes I have taken stowage into consideration. How do you configure the longer hose?
    How long is longer?! 1.2m is just about ok routed as normal provided you have a proper octo holder and not one of those shit magnets. I have been know to tuck a little loop into my waistband on holiday; less so in the UK as I'm less streamlined anyway. I wouldn't suggest bungeeing it anywhere ever as hoses are often professional PITAs and will do their best to tangle and refuse to deploy (my twinset longhose has managed a kinked loop of over 90 degrees before).
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    2.1 metres? Or, more accurately, 50ish cm and necklaced.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I guess thems the questions now. How long are you thinking and are you looking for securing for deployment or think primary donate ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast