Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Self cert?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Self cert?

We have to request a self cert or medical sign off for everyone on Seasearch dives as part of our insurance. Just had someone who's never heard of them, despite being a regular UK diver. He says he's part of a club, but didn't bother with the BSAC bit. Don't people get asked for them before going on boat dives? Genuine question, I tend to stay within my own bubble and don't go on 'normal' trips much.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've never been asked to sign a waiver, show a diving certification, or prove my medical status on any UK dive boat.

Skippers don't want to be adjudicators of who can dive and who cannot; getting involved in such checks implies they have a responsibility to do so, and therefore a liability if something goes wrong.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Commercial skippers won't ask for any certs as that turns them into managers of the dive rather that taxis.
    Commercial divers both Pro and Rec will have HSE medicals and any clients will need self-certs.
    Members of clubs like BSAC and SAA must have a self-cert.

What's left are solo divers who may have a diver cert from PADI or BSAC etc but not actual members of
    anything, these do not need to have a self-cert.

The grey area is when a diver joins a club trip as a 'guest' or is in a lose club that has more than one agency.
    Smart mixed clubs go with the you have to be 100% in the club insured and have self-certs regardless of agency,
    but others take a more liberal stance and this is where you can get some that 'feel' they are members, but
    are outside of any requirements including self certs.

Because of the variables Seasearch are right to demand evertyone fills one in, takes 2 mins and makes it 100% sure

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can't believe "never heard of it" as you need it for training whatever the organisation or school. But generally once certed you don't need them in the UK. Beeserk (I think) have shifted a bit in recent years but I don't recall needing one when we were in the physical branch and I certainly didn't bother for our Internet branch. (I would have had one - full medical - for the latter as we lived in France at the time)

PADI one you can download off the net for free.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I go on a dive trip with my (PADI) dive club all divers have to complete a self cert and disclaimer to join the trip, whether they are a regular or joining for the first time. I guess this is because they are paying the dive club for the trip rather than the boat directly?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You can download them for free for any agency - that seems hard to get across to him - I was just surprised to find someone who didn't understand the concept.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    You can download them for free for any agency - that seems hard to get across to him - I was just surprised to find someone who didn't understand the concept.
    BSAC's all online now - so you dont even need to download a form - if your self certing with no conditions, its just a single tick box...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Can't believe "never heard of it" as you need it for training whatever the organisation or school. But generally once certed you don't need them in the UK. Beeserk (I think) have shifted a bit in recent years but I don't recall needing one when we were in the physical branch and I certainly didn't bother for our Internet branch. (I would have had one - full medical - for the latter as we lived in France at the time)

PADI one you can download off the net for free.
    No BSAC member has been excempt at any time in its history from either a medical or self-cert and that Includes BSAC Direct.
    Failure to have one would invalidate BSAC diving membership and any Insurance.

Having a medical already in itself doen't always work either, the self-cert has to be filled in regardless.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Diving abroad, if you can't self cert, you often need a formal medical certificate within the last year. I got caught out when I had a five year sign-off from the diving doc fourteen months previously and then wasn't allowed to dive until I had a further $100 medical.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Diving abroad, if you can't self cert, you often need a formal medical certificate within the last year. I got caught out when I had a five year sign-off from the diving doc fourteen months previously and then wasn't allowed to dive until I had a further $100 medical.
    A scam perpetuated by many places abroad. A nice little earner for the doctor and a kick back to the dive centre for sending you their way.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast