Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

International Driving Permit

Does anyone have any idea about IDPs?

There are three agreements out there - 1926, 1949 and 1968 (plus a variation on the 1968 one just for fun) - and there appears to be an IDP for each one. When I finally get to sod off on my travels (realistically about 5+years) I will be going to countries that will mean that I will need an IDP to cover all three (or four) agreements as I understand that the agreement year is on the cover.

I donít have an IDP to look at but if anyone does can they have a look please? Also when you applied for it did you have to say where you were going - I look forward to seeing their eyebrows going up as I rattle off the list (currently around 40 countries) when I apply for mine at the post office if I have to.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The post office have a country checker https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identit...driving-permit

You need to look up whihc one you need for which country, then get all of them. one IDP covers all the countries covered by that agreement.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got one, just over a year old (got it for Oman) - its remarkably low tech, doesn't seem to have changed since I had one in the late 80s

Bit of folded cardboard basically

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mine has just expired and states "Convention on Road Traffic of 19 September 1949" on the front cover. I didn't ask for a specific date, nor was I asked where I was going.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hmmm checked out of curiosity - you need an IDP for driving in USA. I have rented and driven in American many times over the years and never been asked for an IDP ...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Got one for (most of) Europe last year, £5 and change and a trip to the post office, for something that looks like a WW2 identity card.
    Cheap card, filled in in pen.

Basically a multilingual copy of your driving licence, there are three types, and no one covers all of Europe.
    But one covers most.

I`ve never needed one in the USA, but that is not France post Brexit.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Hmmm checked out of curiosity - you need an IDP for driving in USA. I have rented and driven in American many times over the years and never been asked for an IDP ...
    That's why I had one - went to the US, nine trips, nine different cities, never asked to show it (whereas the pink "credit card", asked for every time by the car hire firms. I showed them the IDP once and they said "what's that?")

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My holidays and employment since mid 80s have taken me me to around 50 countries* and despite initially having IDP ready I have never been asked to show it

* USA, Multiple in SAmerica, SEAsia, USSR (before the wall fell) Middle East. Africa, Europe.

The UK photo card backed up with a valid credit card for car hire seem to be very widely accepted globally.

That said, for a few quid and a trip or two to the post office it would be stupid not to have IDP ( or multiple IDP) ready.
    Last edited by John63; 19-02-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can echo the above - got one to go to the US and it was not required by the hire company (Hertz).

However it occurs to me the more important is whether the coppers would ask to see it? I cannot answer that as I didn't get stopped at any point. I have been stopped in the EU a few times but that experience is now invalid as (well you all know the rest).

If I was going somewhere where they throw you in jail for patting someone on the back I think I would get one

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Interesting have been to Australia twice and both times we did significant road trips and were able to rent vehicles using UK licences. Likewise NZ and USA numerous times. For a few years I had a valid Iowa licence and a Massachusetts licence. Never been asked for IDP anytime we have rented.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast