Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    No, they don't.

Based on who's definition?

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Thats a silly and over simplistic comparison (which I suspect you know already). If you correct for population is not a clear as you might think and I would hazard a guess that there are more people working in construction per capita so the numbers are likely not (statistically) significantly different.
    Detailed analysis of the construction sector in China isn’t available, however I’d expect it to be broadly similar to the regions occupational death rate as a whole, in which case

Or 4 times more likely to die at work in Asia as a whole

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren A View Post
    Why, did someone leave out a single wheelbarrow that needed protecting by 10 miles of cones ��
    We left a 40tonne D9 bulldozer out over a weekend and some inconsiderate guy managed to hit it with his lorry, despite it being parked at the bottom of an embankment on the other carriageway.

The cones don’t protect anything, they just give the idiots a clue which lane they should be driving in.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Based on who's definition?
    Mine and that if those with far more relevant experience than me. I've been on works next to 50mph separated by cones and a ribbon. Bloody frightening when a cone is flicked past. I've also managed those surveying next to running motorways and trunk roads, I'd rather not have to complete any paperwork for an incident let alone a fatality. For myself and the families affected.

I've seen the quality of protection elsewhere. I'd rather suffer delays than expose people to lesser quality care.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    We left a 40tonne D9 bulldozer out over a weekend and some inconsiderate guy managed to hit it with his lorry, despite it being parked at the bottom of an embankment on the other carriageway.

The cones don’t protect anything, they just give the idiots a clue which lane they should be driving in.
    Following working vehicles into work areas seems to be far too common.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Detailed analysis of the construction sector in China isn’t available, however I’d expect it to be broadly similar to the regions occupational death rate as a whole, in which case

Or 4 times more likely to die at work in Asia as a whole

B
    Think you should chose your data carefully as the reported cases show that the work for in Europe is 15% of Asia yet the reported death rates are 50% higher than in Asia. Looking at that table as a PhD in science I'd say its being written with confirmation biased or worse, i.e., simply put, treat the data as barely worth the paper its written on.

Still I suppose the HSE warriors love it and use to make the UK construction industry the glorious shinning light that we all think it is ...
    Last edited by graham_hk; 18-02-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Until you work on a motorway, the hazard isn’t obvious. Everything is so much bigger and faster than you’d think.

Those white line dots that separate a slip road from the running lane that look about 6” long? They are 1 metre long with 1 metre gap. That thud-thud-thid you get running over catseyes. Those are 18metres apart. An articulated wagon trailer is only 12m.

A motorway road cone is 1m high and weighs 9 kilos. The cones with repeater lights on have two cones slotted over each other - 18kgs. That’s the weight of a 15L steel scuba cylinder. How’d you fancy that flung into your back at 50mph!?
    Last edited by Steve Clark; 18-02-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    Until you work on a motorway, the hazard isn’t obvious. Everything is so much bigger and faster than you’d think.

Those white line dots that separate a slip road from the running lane that look about 6” long? They are 1 metre long with 1 metre gap. That thud-thud-thid you get running over catseyes. Those are 18metres apart. An articulated wagon trailer is only 12m.

A motorway road cone is 1m high and weighs 9 kilos. The cones with repeater lights on have two cones slotted over each other - 18kgs. That’s the weight of a 15L steel scuba cylinder. How’d you fancy that flung into your back at 50mph!?
    I hear all that (and Adrian's comments) - but I think you are looking at this from the wrong way around. The projects should be co-ordinated to take place as quickly as possible - and rather than years of delays a better solution found. Just like paying 20p to get rid of the cones for a week most motorists would take a short hit to solve the solution quickly. Its like the local roads that are dug up for gas and two weeks later dug up again for water

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Think you should chose your data carefully as the reported cases show that the work for in Europe is 15% of Asia yet the reported death rates are 50% higher than in Asia. Looking at that table as a PhD in science I'd say its being written with confirmation biased or worse, i.e., simply put, treat the data as barely worth the paper its written on.

Still I suppose the HSE warriors love it and use to make the UK construction industry the glorious shinning light that we all think it is ...
    Yep. This is what it looks like on the M5 between j2-5 with a row of cones between you and the live lanes running at 50mph

And this is what it looks like when a driver forgets the cones are stopping them running off the road (luckily the lads working on the roller got out of the way

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I hear all that (and Adrian's comments) - but I think you are looking at this from the wrong way around. The projects should be co-ordinated to take place as quickly as possible - and rather than years of delays a better solution found. Just like paying 20p to get rid of the cones for a week most motorists would take a short hit to solve the solution quickly. Its like the local roads that are dug up for gas and two weeks later dug up again for water
    Lol.
    Blame the HE. We’d love to crash a project out.
    I had a chance to close J8 on the M25 for 3 months and get all works done for £3m or close out of hours over 15months and cost £7m
    Even explained how we could do the comm’s and the public would take the pain. No go
    I actually got the HE to close a junction on the A14 last year, we could have had the works done over three weekends with full closures, after 20 hours we had to cancel and open the works, the HE had 3 complaints

B

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast