Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing size

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wing size

Can the same wing be used for doubles and a single tank
    Or is two wings better just wondered

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a 45lb wing for doubles. It works fine with a single 12 for me.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a big OMS wing, it wasn't great with a single tank

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Likewise got a 50 pound zeagle which is lovely with twins but was a rolling pig in the Red Sea with a 15l steel single

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Given the choice, I'd always dive a single with a smaller wing....not given the choice then a 40lb twinset wing wouldn't be too awful

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    I use a 45lb wing for doubles. It works fine with a single 12 for me.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk
    Now I'm on a PC and can type properly:
    The 45lb wing (Apeks doughnut) is lovely with twins.

I don't tend to dive it with a single that often, but when I've got the single cylinder, it tends not to have much air in the wing (by the time I've added air to the drysuit for squeeze, the suit has also taken care of buoyancy) so it doesn't tend to taco up around the cylinder like I was fearing it might (when I changed to a wing, I was wondering if I'd need to buy two). In the water, it all just seems to work without worrying about it.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A twin wing can be used for a single, but it'll be far from optimal as it'll be much larger and will wrap around the cylinder so the hip dump will be in the wrong place.

Typically you'd have two wings; one twinset wing (typically around 40lb) and another single wing (typically around 30lb). You can use the same backplate and harness. You will need a "single tank adapter" which is a bit of stainless/ali which your two 11" centre bolts screw into and you'd have a couple of cam bands which attach to the single cylinder. You would probably add between two and four weight pouches which fit to the cam bands.

Obviously everyone's different and its largely preference.

My preference is for a Halcyon Evolve 40lb twinset doughnut-style wing and a smaller Halcyon Eclipse 30lb doughnut-style single wing. In the water it's hard to tell the difference; dumps and fill valves are in the same place.

BTW I bought both wings second-hand. They do periodically come up and the going rate's about 200 each (compared with double that new). Also, I bought the Eclipse second-hand, used it one year and the following year all the stitching had perished. Halcyon were brilliant and replaced the outer skin for circa 80.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick07 View Post
    Can the same wing be used for doubles and a single tank
    Or is two wings better just wondered
    What Wibs said. In summary, yes you can use one for both but as a compromise, it will not be the best solution for either.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    What Wibs said. In summary, yes you can use one for both but as a compromise, it will not be the best solution for either.

Sometimes compromise can be a real advantage

My first wing was a Zeagle Tech, the one with the webbing matrix.
    Used it for singles, indie twins, manifolded twins, just about every config you could think of.

Could be on a boat, dive twins for the first and with very little hassle switch to a single for the second dive.
    Same on hols, great with a single and when once offered a stunning days diving gratis as long as I could twin up,
    the same rig easily switched.

Never have I felt that the rig was 'sub-optimal', far from it.

After a seriously stupid number of dives it eventually retired to be replaced by yes another new Zeagle Tech

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have to say I have never used twins so can't comment on that.

What I can say is that a doubles wing (particularly horseshoe type) is not nearly as nice as a proper (donut) singles wing. All to easy with the horseshoe and a single tank for it to taco round the tank and get air into a point where it takes a significant effort to get it back out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast