Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    What is people's experiences of smart meters. A few people I know say there bills have gone up since having one fitted even though they have tried to use less electricity.
    We had a smart meter fitted - and later changed suppliers. It still shows how much electricity is being used but not the cost. I also have to submit meter readings since the meter can't be read remotely by the new supplier. So not so smart!

A country member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I’m with People’s Energy.

Electricity is 12.379 p/kWh with a SC of 21.905 p/day
    Gas is 3.327 p/kWh with the same SC per day.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    We had a smart meter fitted - and later changed suppliers. It still shows how much electricity is being used but not the cost. I also have to submit meter readings since the meter can't be read remotely by the new supplier. So not so smart!
    Mark 1 meter most likely. Some were not transferable. No idea why. Standards...
    Mah Nà Mah Nà

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    What is people's experiences of smart meters. A few people I know say there bills have gone up since having one fitted even though they have tried to use less electricity.
    Has a Mark 2 meter recently. Completely ignored the previous rounds of fittings as there were some issues with them. It's interesting to see what impacts consumption, although it is bloody obvious really. No more estimated errors now though.
    Mah Nà Mah Nà

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mk2 (smets 2) meters are a different breed entirely to the mk1 (smets1). They are connected in a different way so all smets2 meters should allow for easier changes between suppliers..

Plans are out there to upgrade the original type over the air

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpj View Post
    What I've highlighted is not true, the electricity that's supplied is from the same source(s) as your previous supplier, it will be a mixture of all generating stations powering your region.
    Technically speaking this is correct.
    However...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    It’s a grid. Energy goes in and energy comes out. Bulb only pay renewable suppliers to put energy in. I only pay bulb. My money only pays for electricity from renewable sources.

If I could pay for nuclear, and French DC interconnector nuclear, I’d do that too.
    Bulb's energy is bought from renewable sources (or at least they have the renewable source certificates to cover everything they supply).
    You do pay for the stuff coming over the interconnectors (all of them, not just the two from France)
    You also pay for the nuclear.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Mark 1 meter most likely. Some were not transferable. No idea why. Standards...
    SMETS1 meters are pretty smart and there are moves to update them to SMETS2.
    There are other "smart" meters which can't be upgraded or transferred which will have to be replaced at some point.
    However, the reason the smartness wasn't transferrable may well be because your new supplier can't handle it (particularly if they're a small player rather than one of the big 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Mk2 (smets 2) meters are a different breed entirely to the mk1 (smets1). They are connected in a different way so all smets2 meters should allow for easier changes between suppliers..

Plans are out there to upgrade the original type over the air
    Ish... only if they're upgradable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12