Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Home energy costs.

I have just been checking energy prices and have found that my current energy suppliers have a cheaper tariff than the one I am currently on so I have, obvs, changed over. Should save me about 200 p/a.

Then I thought, I know, TDF is the very place to find out if there is anything better currently available. I am on Money Saving Expert's energy check but this deal isn't yet listed (or I couldn't find it in the drop down lists).

I am hoping that you will find me a cheaper rate or give me the assurance that I'm not being done.

Supplier name: Economy 7. Tariff name: Eco Fix 1.0. Tariff type: Fixed.
    Tariff term: 12 months. Payment method: Direct Debit.

Electricity unit rates: 0.1606 per kWh (day) and 0.0892 per kWh (night).
    Electricity standing charge: 0.0840 per day.

Gas unit rate: 0.0273 per kWh.
    Gas standing charge: 0.0735 per day.

Exit fees: N/A.
    Last edited by Finless; 07-02-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not sure what I pay but I use Tonik. Saved me about 200 per annum when I switched to them and they seem to provide a reasonable service.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I work in the energy industry (we supply software to participants). I'm with SO Energy who I've found to be (a) cheap and (b) good at billing and support etc.
    Energy companies fail when they overcharge (usually because the customer hasn't switched or can't switch) or because they can't sort out a reliable bill (there's a few that have gone bust recently because of this, on example is Extra Energy who were (and still are) utterly useless.

My rate is:

Electricity:
    Unit Rate: 13.53p per kWh
    Standing Charges: 22.05p per day

Gas:
    Unit Rate: 2.48p per kWh

If you want to join SO Energy please follow this link as it'll get you as discount and will give me a discount too: https://www.so.energy/r/SPQLIMIHH

I make a point of switching (or purposely renewing) every year in January. It seems to be working.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    I work in the energy industry (we supply software to participants). I'm with SO Energy who I've found to be (a) cheap and (b) good at billing and support etc.
    Energy companies fail when they overcharge (usually because the customer hasn't switched or can't switch) or because they can't sort out a reliable bill (there's a few that have gone bust recently because of this, on example is Extra Energy who were (and still are) utterly useless.

My rate is:

Electricity:
    Unit Rate: 13.53p per kWh

Gas:
    Unit Rate: 2.48p per kWh

If you want to join SO Energy please follow this link as it'll get you as discount and will give me a discount too: https://www.so.energy/r/SPQLIMIHH

I make a point of switching (or purposely renewing) every year in January. It seems to be working.
    Although the SO Energy rates are lower the Standing Charge is quite a bit higher + approx 25% of my electricity used on the night rate which is abt the kWh day rate.

I think it'll work out cheaper to stay where I am. I have prepared a spreadsheet for comparing costs so I'll plumb it in when I get home to check.

The lot I am with are actually charging a little bit less per kWh (than they used to on my previous tariff) but have slashed their SC charge.
    Last edited by Finless; 07-02-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Not sure what I pay but I use Tonik. Saved me about 200 per annum when I switched to them and they seem to provide a reasonable service.
    I recently transfered a family friend to Tonik (from EDF) and she is very happy with the savings.

As they say, don't let yourself get rolled over. Mind you, I think the clover might be unhappy about that? Perhaps not?

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We use bulb. Customer service is good. All electricity is from renewable sources. Gas obviously not.

Elec 13.4p kwh, 20.4p standing
    Gas 3.5p kwh, 20.4p standing

On reflection, we could probably get better a better rate for gas. They do only have one set of rates though, so no worries about it changing back to rip-off tariff after a year etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    We use bulb. Customer service is good. All electricity is from renewable sources. Gas obviously not.

Elec 13.4p kwh, 20.4p standing
    Gas 3.5p kwh, 20.4p standing

On reflection, we could probably get better a better rate for gas. They do only have one set of rates though, so no worries about it changing back to rip-off tariff after a year etc.
    What I've highlighted is not true, the electricity that's supplied is from the same source(s) as your previous supplier, it will be a mixture of all generating stations powering your region.
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpj View Post
    What I've highlighted is not true, the electricity that's supplied is from the same source(s) as your previous supplier, it will be a mixture of all generating stations powering your region.
    It’s a grid. Energy goes in and energy comes out. Bulb only pay renewable suppliers to put energy in. I only pay bulb. My money only pays for electricity from renewable sources.

If I could pay for nuclear, and French DC interconnector nuclear, I’d do that too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    It’s a grid. Energy goes in and energy comes out. Bulb only pay renewable suppliers to put energy in. I only pay bulb. My money only pays for electricity from renewable sources.

If I could pay for nuclear, and French DC interconnector nuclear, I’d do that too.
    Move to the south east, interconnector can be up to 70+% of local demand iirc.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What is people's experiences of smart meters. A few people I know say there bills have gone up since having one fitted even though they have tried to use less electricity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast