Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zip seals and Zip gloves,... now obsolete?

Hello,

Some years ago I purchased a CF200X second (triple?) hand which came with zip seals. I have been a big fan of the zip seals since, especially for the fact that the attachment is soft and not rigid like for most (all?) other systems. But I have also noticed that as a consequence, under pressure, the ring would bent inwards and I have always feared that it would pop open (although this has never happened), or let small amount of water in.
    I have purchased the way overpriced zipgloves to go with it; the ones made of neoprene that DUI do not do any more. Which I really like too, although for the price I wished they were stronger. The problem with Zipglove is that they have to be fitted on the suit before you finish to put it on. This is really awkward to do ( and I am sure put lots of pressure on the suit seams while wiggling to insert both arms through the sleeves). Then, especially on a rhib trip, I will have to keep the gloves on after a dive until back on land; this means that I am stuck with the gloves on to do anything: pressing the "small" buttons on the echo sounder, pulling the shot line, recovering the boat etc etc. this is the reason why I believe I have been through two pairs of gloves already as they might not have been intended for any other purposes that diving.

Anyway, most people i know who dive with dry gloves have the Kubi system on their suit nowadays and I am always ever so jealous that they can put it on at the last moment and take it off any time they wish. Oh and it is so much cheaper.

So, are zipseals, not so long ago the only "hot-swap" seal solution available, now completely obsolete?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They are if you price up replacements. You can send a suit away and have a sitech system fitted for less than the price of a set of seals.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by uncertainplume View Post
    Hello,

Some years ago I purchased a CF200X second (triple?) hand which came with zip seals. I have been a big fan of the zip seals since, especially for the fact that the attachment is soft and not rigid like for most (all?) other systems. But I have also noticed that as a consequence, under pressure, the ring would bent inwards and I have always feared that it would pop open (although this has never happened), or let small amount of water in.
    I have purchased the way overpriced zipgloves to go with it; the ones made of neoprene that DUI do not do any more. Which I really like too, although for the price I wished they were stronger. The problem with Zipglove is that they have to be fitted on the suit before you finish to put it on. This is really awkward to do ( and I am sure put lots of pressure on the suit seams while wiggling to insert both arms through the sleeves). Then, especially on a rhib trip, I will have to keep the gloves on after a dive until back on land; this means that I am stuck with the gloves on to do anything: pressing the "small" buttons on the echo sounder, pulling the shot line, recovering the boat etc etc. this is the reason why I believe I have been through two pairs of gloves already as they might not have been intended for any other purposes that diving.

Anyway, most people i know who dive with dry gloves have the Kubi system on their suit nowadays and I am always ever so jealous that they can put it on at the last moment and take it off any time they wish. Oh and it is so much cheaper.

So, are zipseals, not so long ago the only "hot-swap" seal solution available, now completely obsolete?
    Obsolete - I don't think so. Expensive? Perhaps. In my opinion the other systems are nowhere near as good as the zip seals as they are bulky and prone to issues (lost count of the amount of issues that I have seen). Ring systems have an advantage of cost per seal and you can put your gloves on after you do your neck for example.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you keep the zip-seal ring bits, you can just stick new latex seals on. I've never tried with the gloves.

I've had zip seal neck and wrist on my dui suit for the last 12 years and they've been great. The neck in particularly is a real dive saver on a trip away. As you say, the disadvantage of the gloves is that you can't easily take them off and you lose dexterity. I find I can do most things. I ask a mate to check my neck seal. If you need to use small buttons or a phone, just get one of those cheap stylus things.
    Last edited by Steve Clark; 03-02-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Steve, have you had any joy DIYing the neck seal? I know the wrists can be done but the neck seal has rings on both side

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    Steve, have you had any joy DIYing the neck seal? I know the wrists can be done but the neck seal has rings on both side
    No. I've always just bought the neck seals in advance and trimmed them ready for use when needed. I try to buy them in Florida from a DUI dealer where they haven't been sat on a shelf for months. Twice I've had neck seals split immediately before a dive and just swapped them over. Seemed reasonable value when they were about 75. Now they are 125

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    I pointed my LDS at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLx276jfHv0 and they did it for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks, I’ll take a look