Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Ferries to Brittany?

We might be off for a week of diving near Brest in France in June and have been somewhat thrown by the choices of departure points - looks like we can go from about 4 locations on the S coast to another 4 in France. Some only go once a day at annoying times so can be discounted, but is there anything else to look for to thin things down a bit? Chances are we'll be in Torquay the night before sailing and driving straight back to the safety of Suffolk on the return. Any that are best avoided please?
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    We might be off for a week of diving near Brest
    Snigger 🤭

Sorry, thought I was back at school there for a second

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Brittany ferries schedule may not be entirely convenient but their service, as far as we have been concerned (as foot passengers, car & motorcycle), has always been outstanding.

The main restaurant is worth a visit for the seafood buffet alone (one of the few times I put my principles aside these days).

I wouldn't sail on Condor if i could avoid it.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    but is there anything else to look for to thin things down a bit? Chances are we'll be in Torquay the night before sailing and driving straight back to the safety of Suffolk on the return. Any that are best avoided please?
    I'd say Plymouth-Roscoff was the obvious choice here given Torquay's proximity to Plymouth and Roscoff's proximity to Brest. If you go on a day crossing, it's cheaper as you don't need to book accommodation. For overnight sailings, you need to book something - the minimum being a reclining chair in the lounge which was approx 10 each way when I last booked. Plymouth back to Suffolk will be a long, boring drive, so you could try and liven it up by driving back through France and sailing back to a closer English port? That said, Plymouth to Suffolk is a very fast drive, traffic permitting - fast dual carriageway and motorway all the way.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I looked at taking a car to Roscoff in July. Was €1200 for a car and 2 people!!!

Would be cheaper to fly and rent a car
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had the britanny ferries 'club card' for a while. It is expensive but you can make the money back after a couple of trips (depending on the price). The fares are a bit cheaper and you get a big breakfast in the morning, ready for the drive ahead

I have been on the Portsmouth to Le Havre, Caen, Cherbourg routes. Day and night. I prefer the night crossings - Le Havre gets you a little bit further and costs less. The Caen and Cherbourg ferries are quicker and more comfortable.

If you are looking at prices and schedules, sometimes easier to use a reseller like https://www.aferry.co.uk/. Then go book direct with brittany ferries when you figure out what you want. There's no advantage to booking return fares. I've even booked a night crossing a couple of hours before departure, with no problems.

Looking at Brest on a map, you probably want to land in St Malo. I think it is a more expensive route in holiday season. On the way back to Suffolk, Dieppe to Newhaven might be good. It's a nice ferry. 4 or 5 hours I think. Alternatively, just go to Calais and take the tunnel / cheaper ferry.
    Last edited by t0by; 02-02-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Torquay makes it a nuisance. As above Plymouth is the obvious departure point. Coming back I would opt for the tunnel. From Ashford it is a clear run up the M20 a bit of M25 then A12. The drive from Brest to Calais will be easier than the corresponding drive in the UK. We went to Brest on the motorbike and went out from Portsmouth to St Malo with an overnight cabin. This is a nice route and the onboard restaurant is half decent. You can guzzle some nice wine and have a good night's sleep without any driving. (Brest is lovely BTW).

We have used most of the routes at some point but never Plymouth. It's a long steam if the weather is shit. The ferries are also quite expensive compared to the tunnel. Our last trip was to Rennes and we took the ferry from here (Poole) with a cabin both ways and just under 300 quid. The tunnel is about 80 each way - less if you take an off peak crossing. There is a big Ibis hotel just off the road next to the terminal and adjacent to the mega shopping centre. That is our normal stopping point out and fill up the boot in the Carrefour on the way home. But if you are in Torquay it's a bit daft to drive back to Ashford of course.

I hope you have a good trip. There was a music festival on last time we were there and it was great fun. The bike caught fire and we had to get a tow truck home but that's another story...