Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless bp

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stainless bp

Does anybody know if any other backplates fit halcyon eclipse wing and single tank adapter
    Donít fancy paying nearly 300 quid for one

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anything of a standard size should fit I would’ve thought.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would imagine any plate with lots of holes would fit - I have wings by several different makers and they all seem to fit the same backplates (I have an ally one and a massively heavy stainless steel one which means I don't need any weight when diving in a wetsuit). John Hewitt does a nice stainless one for about £70 which is about 230 quid less than the one with a "H" on it!

Oooh! Just checked and Halcyon now do a carbon fibre backplate for those divers who just have too much money!!! Doesn't say how much it weighs though - I guess if you are off to somewhere really remote and luggage is super restricted it might make sense but I can't imagine that is a big market but carbon fibre thats got to be better hasn't it?
    Last edited by Energy58; 28-01-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Custom Divers ones won't I don't think, something weird about them but I can't remember what it is but loads of other ones fit. Dive rite fine, IST, fine, Frog, fine, OSM, fine.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.redhatdiving.com/bcds-and-wings/

Scroll down... £79. Job done

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    I would imagine any plate with lots of holes would fit - I have wings by several different makers and they all seem to fit the same backplates (I have an ally one and a massively heavy stainless steel one which means I don't need any weight when diving in a wetsuit). John Hewitt does a nice stainless one for about £70 which is about 230 quid less than the one with a "H" on it!

Oooh! Just checked and Halcyon now do a carbon fibre backplate for those divers who just have too much money!!! Doesn't say how much it weighs though - I guess if you are off to somewhere really remote and luggage is super restricted it might make sense but I can't imagine that is a big market but carbon fibre thats got to be better hasn't it?
    No idea on retail but carbon is actually cheaper to make than stainless

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick07 View Post
    Does anybody know if any other backplates fit halcyon eclipse wing and single tank adapter
    Don’t fancy paying nearly 300 quid for one
    The Halcyon holes are 11" apart and need to take an M8 bolt. Most standard plates are the same. Avoid using one with a slot.

Things to watch :

The holes around the edge of the H plate directly line up with the holes in the halcyon backplate storage pack thing. Other plates have these holes for wing bungees and they are not in the same place. I had to drill a non-H S/S plate so it would fit.

The slot in the bottom of the H plates is 2" wide to suit a proper crotch strap. Some other plates have a 1" wide slot

The Halcyon plates are actually quite well thought out and very well made. No burrs or sharp edges inside the holes like you see on some. You can get steel / ali / carbon-fibre and they are all also made in a smaller size for kids and small people. The £300 is a bit steep, but they do regularly appear 2nd hand for about £100 with the webbing. It's a plate, it lasts forever.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    Custom Divers ones won't I don't think, something weird about them but I can't remember what it is but loads of other ones fit. Dive rite fine, IST, fine, Frog, fine, OSM, fine.
    Custom Divers plates are well made plates with holes the usual spacing apart but they are wider and flatter.

They are fine for use with any wing or STA but not with an Inspo and back-mounted counter-lungs (that was why I got rid of mine).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ah, maybe it was twinset compatibility I'm remembering then (bolts too short).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Custom Divers plates are well made plates with holes the usual spacing apart but they are wider and flatter.

They are fine for use with any wing or STA but not with an Inspo and back-mounted counter-lungs (that was why I got rid of mine).
    The end of the thread on the bands has to be flush with the back-plate so you have to use mushroom bolts and not wingnuts.
    The holes are bigger to accommodate the bolts.
    I have a CD plate with an OMS wing, works for me with twins.
    Last edited by gpj; 29-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast