Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Palau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Palau

Has anyone been to Palau and if you have- any recommendations of dive centers? We've a trip booked and the tour operator has recommended Joe's Tours and Fish n Fins (can't even see Fish n Fins website since it sets off my anti virus whenever I try to visit it, clearly they need a better webmaster).

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My wife and I have been to Palau and dived with Fish n'Fins. They were a very well organised outfit and have a fleet of nice dive boats which were designed by the owner who was a former marine architect. They will pick you up from your accommodation. Unlike Truk, the locals are pleasant and friendly and the place has decent infrastructure and restaurants.

Really nice diving with a mixture of reefs, wrecks and architectural structures. Mantas and some sharks. Blue Corner is very spectacular but can be a bit unpredictable current wise because being so exposed, it is affected by weather conditions a thousand miles away across the Pacific.

Very enjoyable location.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    My wife and I have been to Palau and dived with Fish n'Fins. They were a very well organised outfit and have a fleet of nice dive boats which were designed by the owner who was a former marine architect. They will pick you up from your accommodation. Unlike Truk, the locals are pleasant and friendly and the place has decent infrastructure and restaurants.

Really nice diving with a mixture of reefs, wrecks and architectural structures. Mantas and some sharks. Blue Corner is very spectacular but can be a bit unpredictable current wise because being so exposed, it is affected by weather conditions a thousand miles away across the Pacific.

Very enjoyable location.

Thanks Alan. Did you pre-book or just turn up? We tend to like to take the odd day off these days, the were pushign a package with dinne in their restuarant included and various addiitonal tours and i was not sure if it was worth it or if we should just wait and see.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IainC View Post
    Has anyone been to Palau and if you have- any recommendations of dive centers? We've a trip booked and the tour operator has recommended Joe's Tours and Fish n Fins (can't even see Fish n Fins website since it sets off my anti virus whenever I try to visit it, clearly they need a better webmaster).
    Some stuff on the area here: https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...nd-the-Pacific

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by IainC View Post
    Thanks Alan. Did you pre-book or just turn up? We tend to like to take the odd day off these days, the were pushign a package with dinne in their restuarant included and various addiitonal tours and i was not sure if it was worth it or if we should just wait and see.
    We pre-booked because we were only there for five days (limited by flight schedules - our next stop was Manila) but we did dine at their restaurant one night and it was reasonably good. We stayed at a place called Caroline's Cottages which were up on a hill. Very comfortable and great views but a little way out of the town.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Been to Palau couple of times and always dive with Sam's Tours who are excellent

http://www.samstours.com/

One of the biggest and best in the area I believe. They have shed loads of boats, kit, instructors and really good facilities including bar and basic restaurant all on site. You can't go wrong but suggest you pre-book to ensure seat

Palau has some amazing WW2 wrecks that very few dive which are very good but the scenic stuff is amazing. More turtles and sharks in one dive on blue corner that I had seen in 10 years of diving! Sams also offers very special "one off" trips which are amazing, look out for their manta feeding which only happens at certain times of the moon cycle - early start and late finish but well worth the effort!
    Last edited by Garspeed; 29-01-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't forget to do the jellyfish lake. Tens of thousands of stingless jellyfish which you can snorkel with. Quite a hike to get there but well worth it for the experience.