Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Poseidon P190 queries

Iíve had a Poseidon P190 compressor for many years (powered by a Briggs & Stratton Vanguard petrol engine) giving good service. Probably not maintained nearly as well as it should have been but thatís another story. Anyway, recently I decided to remove the engine and replaced it with an electric motor (so that I can run it indoors). As the motor was smaller (3HP) than required to drive the compressor at full tilt (manual says compressor demand is 4.7HP), I had to use a smaller pulley on the motor than the engine had and now the rpm is approx. 800 against the manualís stated max of 1300. Obviously flowrate is down but I can live with that as Iím only topping up 3L CCR and 1.5L suit inflate bottles these days. All seems to be running fine and Iíve filled a few small cylinders already. However, Iím a bit nervous about the internal lubrication at the lower rpm. The manual states that itís a splash lube with oil extractor pin on con rod of 3rd stage. HP stage lubricated by oil vapour. Can anyone tell me how much of an issue the lower rpm will be for the splash lube?

A couple of other related queries while Iím on:

1. I changed the rotation (via motor wiring) as the flywheel on the compressor was spinning the wrong way when using the (non-reversible) petrol engine, and the fins were pushing the coolant air away from the compressor rather than across it. Again manual seems to indicate 2 different flywheels available, depending on prime mover rotation direction, and Iím assuming when the engine was put on either the direction of rotation and the angle of the fins on the flywheel wasnít noted or they couldnít be bothered to change the flywheel. OK to reverse the direction (again I'm thinking mainly about lube here and if the splash is via some 'paddle' that relies on the correct direction to work properly)?

2. Manual states Shell Ensis oil but Iíd like to change out to Anderol 555. Would this cause any issues? Change out/flush procedure would be basically; run till warm, drain, fill with 555, run 15mins, drain, then fill with 555.

Looking for some genuine advice please (not a lecture about how much of an idiot I am as I know that already ):
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Are these totally different to the later Bauer Poseidon blocks ? They said I can run my PE200 down to approx 900 rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the PE units are lubricated by a pump (and can take higher levels of inclination). Pump speed will be directly affected by speed that the unit is working at so perhaps thatís where the minimum of 900rpm comes from? The 190 doesnít have a pump so Iím hoping 800rpm is OK.

The figure of 800 was based on what I calculated after measuring the flywheel diameter and assuming close to 3000rpm for the 2-pole motor. I sized the new pulley wheel for the motor based on this. Tacho on the wheel at the weekend showed actual 802rpm at no load and 792rpm when working

Think Iíll try contacting Bauer for advice. All seems fine now, but for how long??
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic