X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WFO
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
    You must have a seriously cheap source of tanks.

The example I gave of Cardiff Scuba was £4. If you take the price of a new tank as the GoDive price it is £155. Ergo 38 rentals to buy the tank. Testing is appx £80 over a five year cycle or £16 a year or four rentals. (assuming no shot blast).

Financially renting is sensible if you don't dive all that much. So it is convenience. I used to rent tanks when I lived in London as my LDS was not far away, but (like many other people on here) that option is not a working solution where I live now.
    Or as in the poster above you... seriously expensive rental options!

You really should never have to shot blast a tank, if you do, you need to go and kick either the compressor owner or operator in the bollocks, as that is either wet gas that's likely to kill you (by whatever other nasties have desorbed out of the filters as the water has pushed it out) or somebody didn't blow the seawater remnants out of the valve before starting filling.

Comment

• Chrisch
      Tofu eating wokerato
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by WFO
      You really should never have to shot blast a tank, if you do, you need to go and kick either the compressor owner or operator in the bollocks, as that is either wet gas that's likely to kill you (by whatever other nasties have desorbed out of the filters as the water has pushed it out) or somebody didn't blow the seawater remnants out of the valve before starting filling.
      I agree, but my tanks always seem to need it and it would be silly to suggest that the tank testers are just trying to run the bill up wouldn't it?
      There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
      With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Neilwood
        Established TDF Member
        • Oct 2015

I agree, but my tanks always seem to need it and it would be silly to suggest that the tank testers are just trying to run the bill up wouldn't it?
        Surely you are not suggesting that the testing regime is some form of cartel where they are the only people that can test and remedy the problem?

Comment

• Chrisch
          Tofu eating wokerato
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Neilwood
          Surely you are not suggesting that the testing regime is some form of cartel where they are the only people that can test and remedy the problem?
          No, no. I jest (or was it I dest?)
          There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.

Comment

• Madocks
            Cancelled Account
            • Apr 2019

On the weekend I went to B&Q and bought a little plastic shed. Tanks are now outside and wife has calmed down

Looking at some sort of insulation, kind of like a mini heating tank jacket to keep the frost off

Comment

• greatwhite
              Established TDF Member
              • May 2013

Originally posted by Tel
              Bit of CLS timber and some shiplap then

Or just buy a Keter midi, they run out at around £80, but can get cheaper other brands for £60.
              Also worth looking for this on Gumtree etc as they are plastic they often come up really cheap.

Are these lockable and secure please?

Comment

• greatwhite
                Established TDF Member
                • May 2013

Originally posted by Neilwood
                If there were a viable alternative to buying your own tanks, I am quite sure that most people would opt to rent. No storage issues, no retesting timescales to worry about etc.

Rental really only works where shops are local and have the facilities for their own fleet of rental tanks (space, compressor, testing facility, tank monkey) - people could look at the ease of renting vs having their own and decide the costs are reasonable. If there were a sizeable need for rental tanks the local shops would have them however that is not the case.

I will be doing a trip in April with a shop where I will rent tanks (they bring 2 vans full of tanks for everyone) - 4 tanks for 2 days diving with no option for refills. No way I could take my own 2 and make 4 dives work. Not worth me having 4 tanks myself though.
                How much does it cost to rent tanks for a day now?

Comment

• greatwhite
                  Established TDF Member
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by WFO
                  Which lunatic would want to start a cylinder hiring business? For majority of divers you'd have thousands of quids worth of stock and testing liability sat there all week, only to have a mad rush on them for the weekend.
                  The only people it might/(/does) work for are charter boats where they might get a profitable charter that they wouldn't otherwise, this would be different if everybody hired them I suppose. (thinking scapa where they'd be in use every week)

No brainer for me, you've only got to dive 10 times and you could buy a tank. I never like renting anything for that reason tbh. Though it does trip me up occasionally when I run out of out of test tanks to take on trips away.
                  In Mexico, the dive centre I went with hired their tanks. I went with them and I have never seen so many tanks waiting to be filled, we are talking hundreds and hundreds. The guy I was with said many of the centres just hired the tanks and got them filled from the same business. I am not comparing the UK to Mexico nor the logistics, but for sure it was very interesting to see how they operated out there.

Comment

• Madocks
                    Cancelled Account
                    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by greatwhite
                    That's pretty much what I had from B&Q

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
                      I used to be Cheeky
                      • May 2018

nothing is secure if its outside

simple as that

I have one of these - "secure and convenient" apparently

Its used for storing fire wood in now

the big padlock hoops and big padlocks I fitted to them were still there long after the bike was gone ....
                      Half the population of war-torn Yemen - 14 million people - are facing "pre-famine conditions", the UN has warned

Comment

• Chrisch
                        Tofu eating wokerato
                        • Jan 2013

How much does it cost to rent tanks for a day now?
                        NDAC is £8.00 (inc the fill) For some reason your LDS (Dive 90) want 20 quid.

Comment

• greatwhite
                          Established TDF Member
                          • May 2013

NDAC is £8.00 (inc the fill) For some reason your LDS (Dive 90) want 20 quid.
                          £20 is crazy. However, dive90 charge £10 to hire a bcd, at NDAC the sea quest centre charged me £20.

Comment

• greatwhite
                            Established TDF Member
                            • May 2013

Originally posted by UnCheeky Monkey
                            nothing is secure if its outside

simple as that

I have one of these - "secure and convenient" apparently

Its used for storing fire wood in now

the big padlock hoops and big padlocks I fitted to them were still there long after the bike was gone ....
                            Do people steal diving tanks? I know if anything is outside it is more likely to go missing, but at the same time I try and make it a little more difficult for them.

Comment

• steelemonkey
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Do people steal diving tanks? I know if anything is outside it is more likely to go missing, but at the same time I try and make it a little more difficult for them.
                              Tanks = scrap metal, if nothing else.
                              Paul.
                              If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                              Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• Nickpicks
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by steelemonkey
                                Tanks = scrap metal, if nothing else.
                                My local scrap metal dealer wouldn't take one when it had a rusty bottom (he may have been confused with the rule that they can't take drinks company or BOC ones).

I had to drop it in the metal recycling container at the local tip.
                                Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

Working...