Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dock box? If you are only storing cylinders there is plenty of room in one of those and they are weatherproof and generally have a lock or take a padlock. Chuck a tarp over and the local scallies won't be interested (unlike a shed)

I rent the smallest storage unit in our local self-store

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Yes I never understood the British obsession with having their own tanks ... heavy and bulky to move around and expensive to own unless you're doing a-lot of diving (1 day per month on twins cost you more than £10 per day to keep in service etc etc)
    I doubt if those that spend over a grand on a torch only for it to be labled as junk soon as technology moves on
    will worry aboout the cost of cylinders. Almost everything in diving is expensive and depreciates rapidly, so to
    call out cylinders as being expensive doesn't really work in comparison.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    I doubt if those that spend over a grand on a torch only for it to be labled as junk soon as technology moves on
    will worry aboout the cost of cylinders. Almost everything in diving is expensive and depreciates rapidly, so to
    call out cylinders as being expensive doesn't really work in comparison.
    Its not just the cost though - heavy and bulky to store and pain in ass to move around ...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its not just the cost though - heavy and bulky to store and pain in ass to move around ...
    Unless it's a boat linked to the hire outfit, you are still going to have to collect and shift cylinders to the boat and will ineviatably
    have to pickup the day before as they won't be open for that 6am start and that';s ignoring the security of having cylinders in the
    boot of the car etc.

If this was a linked boat/liveaboard/dayboat type op where cylinders are provided yeah sure, but on alnost any other circumstance
    it's not a feasable option if you want any sort of flexibility.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pff - I own the cylinders, im not going to sell them to rent

Filling is about 3 quid, renting is a tenner and needs collecting day before and returning day after

No brainer

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Unless it's a boat linked to the hire outfit, you are still going to have to collect and shift cylinders to the boat and will ineviatably
    have to pickup the day before as they won't be open for that 6am start and that';s ignoring the security of having cylinders in the
    boot of the car etc.

If this was a linked boat/liveaboard/dayboat type op where cylinders are provided yeah sure, but on alnost any other circumstance
    it's not a feasable option if you want any sort of flexibility.
    No not feasible in the market now

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Owning tanks for me is about flexibility - if I were to rent all the time, I would never get a dive done. No where close to me rents tanks that I know off and even if they did, it is an hours drive to the nearest shop (during opening hours) so getting tanks would then screw with my work life with trips to the shop on Friday pre dive and Monday post dive. Would start to cost far more than owning them in fuel alone never mind rental costs.

Having tanks at home means I can get a fill from the club compressor during the week and have them ready for the weekend without any work hassles

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Owning tanks for me is about flexibility - if I were to rent all the time, I would never get a dive done. No where close to me rents tanks that I know off and even if they did, it is an hours drive to the nearest shop (during opening hours) so getting tanks would then screw with my work life with trips to the shop on Friday pre dive and Monday post dive. Would start to cost far more than owning them in fuel alone never mind rental costs.

Having tanks at home means I can get a fill from the club compressor during the week and have them ready for the weekend without any work hassles
    Yes I get that - and for sure as the UK is set up right now its a major ball ache to rent ... but many places in the world don't have such troubles ...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All down to where you work/live/dive. The one good thing about having your own tanks is flexibility - you can go anywhere and not have to think about getting tanks. However if you are doing a multi dive day you need two tanks or twinset and top up tank and decanting hose. With testing costs such as they are rental is almost certainly cheaper if you don't dive all that much.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes I get that - and for sure as the UK is set up right now its a major ball ache to rent ... but many places in the world don't have such troubles ...
    And that is where the "British obsession with having their own tanks" which you never understood comes from

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast