Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WANTED... Flat Bottom 12L Twinset

As title, looking for a twinset with flat bottom 12s. Prefer up to a couple of years old.
    What's available?

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Napier, love your user name, not sure if it's why I think it may be so as I'm into Napier Deltics!! See you have no responses so far. IMHO flat bottom cylinders are a fad and apparently give a more balanced position in the water as a few grammes of weight are positioned lower. Long term, the true key to a good twin set is rigidity and not bending the soft brass manifold, a result of not having a twin boot to maintain everything in position is the risk of not keeping the entire set up maintained solidly and in time having issues with the manifold getting twisted. Yeah the boot don't look sexy on normal convex cylinders and the difference in buoyancy will never truly be noticed, so just stick with normal tanks, solid stainless steel bands and a decent brand of manifold and avoid flat bottom cylinders as they are genuinely a gimmick, yes we sold them for a time and soon realised the market is tiny and there's no wonder when you stop and think of the physics!! Don't wish to be seen to be blowing any trumpets , but from a man who has sold thousands of twin sets worldwide for many years to commercial, military and hobby divers. Cheers, Martin....
    Last edited by MW1963; 16-01-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Napier, love your user name, not sure if it's why I think it may be so as I'm into Napier Deltics!! See you have no responses so far. IMHO flat bottom cylinders are a fad and apparently give a more balanced position in the water as a few grammes of weight are positioned lower. Long term, they true key to a good twin set is rigidity and not bending the soft brass manifold, a result of not having a twin boot to maintain everything in position is the risk of not keeping the entire set up maintained solidly and in time having issues with the manifold getting twisted. Yeah the boot don't look sexy on normal convex cylinders and the difference in buoyancy will never truly be noticed, so just stick with normal tanks, solid stainless steel bands and a decent brand of manifold and avoid flat bottom cylinders are they are genuinely a gimmick, yes we sold them for a time and soon realised the market is tiny and there's no wonder when you stop and think of the physics!! Don't wish to be seen to be blowing any trumpets , but from a man who has sold thousands of twin sets worldwide for many years to commercial, military and hobby divers. Cheers, Martin....
    Perhaps I'm hypersensitive then, because I noticed it and need a larger tail weight with Fabers than with the flat bottomed Euros. I also found the Faber cylinders a bit short but that's a different story.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's a faber vs a euro discussion, not a flat euro vs round euro question.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Martin, interesting comments and much appreciated. Yes, also a fan of the Napier Deltic engines, I spent 50 years working with diesels.
    Have tried convex cans and needed a tailweight for trim, so was looking for balance without adding excess weight.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dived both types , prefer the flat euros but either are fit for the job.