Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Be careful getting a new Greenforce head if your battery is old as an older battery may not have the oomph to drive a new head that takes more power.
    A buddy found this out to his cost.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Focus 2 on an Ammonite 24Ah Thermo battery. Lovely. The Nautilus focussable head isn't bad, but the multi-emitter setup doesn't pencil focus down quite enough for blasting through the gop. The H battery has the annoying thing where you have to diddle with it to make the contacts. Plus no E/O cord for the vest.
    Last edited by Woz; 19-01-2021 at 01:54 PM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its an F2 battery so I'm hoping it has enough stuff left in it to drive another LED head, at least enough to last a dive! I guess I'll have to test ASAP and hope I can return? It's hardly getting used and charged every day though so I'd hope there'd be enough life left in it but guess I'll find out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pretty sure I used these https://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat...ery_packs.html To buy and replace the battery cells. Sons torch now runs for about 2 hours , it stopped holding a charge. Think they’ll fit them if you don’t fancy it , think I soldered it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    Its an F2 battery so I'm hoping it has enough stuff left in it to drive another LED head, at least enough to last a dive! I guess I'll have to test ASAP and hope I can return? It's hardly getting used and charged every day though so I'd hope there'd be enough life left in it but guess I'll find out.
    I have two F2 batteries, one is ten years old and holds charge very well. The three year old F2 is also in fine shape.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Could try what was discussed here?:

https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...eferrerid=6579

p.3 has all the details of upgrading a GF to a brighter head at a fraction of the cost
    Last edited by Chimp; 19-01-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    My mates was an F2 battery and I'm guessing less than 10 years old.
    We tried to get it to power a HID head and it didn't light up let alone last a dive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    Pretty sure I used these https://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat...ery_packs.html To buy and replace the battery cells. Sons torch now runs for about 2 hours , it stopped holding a charge. Think they’ll fit them if you don’t fancy it , think I soldered it.
    +1 for this. Did the change myself and been great since (18 months).
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    My mates was an F2 battery and I'm guessing less than 10 years old.
    We tried to get it to power a HID head and it didn't light up let alone last a dive.
    Don't HID bulbs need a lot of power to get started, and then less to keep running, so it might make sense that it struggled with an HID if it had been designed for a halogen.
    LED generally use less power than an equivalent halogen and don't need that kick to get started so may work better with an old battery pack.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    Could try what was discussed here?:

https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...eferrerid=6579

p.3 has all the details of upgrading a GF to a brighter head at a fraction of the cost
    I did actually contact the poster in question a while back about that but never got a reply. I did find a US restocker, piranha dive Manfacturing, who are selling GF heads (I'm guessing reconditioned) for a massive discount (caveat emptor and shipping risks aside, but the only feedback I can find online about them is positive) which is what got me thinking about just upgrading again seriously.

I'm not overly worried about the battery as it's still charging fine and can definitely keep the Tristar going for a full 2 dives. I don't expect the draw from a better (and especially newer) LED head to be significantly different - although cheers for the battery replacement recommendation. It's quite possible that will come in handy at some point in the future.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast