Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've had my Light Monkey 20W HID for about 5 years after seeing my diving buddies use them successfully.
    It has worked and worked and not had any issues.

I know several people that have needed theirs fixing due to wear and tear. Light Monkey were excellent at that.

In comparison, before that I had a Halcyon. It needed repair and was sent off to them. It returned with a "new battery" which was as bad as the previous one and very poor workmanship on the wire. It was returned to get fixed again and has never managed to come back to me despite the assurances and apologies of a member from this forum. I'd rather eat shit than buy from them again. BTW, take a bow Graham.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Greenforce

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    It was returned to get fixed again and has never managed to come back to me despite the assurances and apologies of a member from this forum. I'd rather eat shit than buy from them again. BTW, take a bow Graham.
    Thatís outrageous!!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWdiver View Post
    I bought an Anchor umbilical light a few months back to replace a LFM.

Ok so far. Service was obviously much better. The canister is tiny in comparison to others. The model I bought was probably excessive in hindsight. It's got a load of modes that I'll likely never use.

Beam is decent but not as tight as my LFM 7XPE
    Same for me; LfM NW7 cable went and took months to sort out. Gave up and bought an Anchor 189 with both the 'cave' umbilical and a 35650 battery for standalone use.

Happy with it, but the narrow beam's not as tight and sharp as the LfM (as there's 4 focussed LEDs). Need a tight beam in crap water to stop back scatter and also a tight beam for signalling.

However the Anchor's great for video; the wide beam(s) are good in confined spaces; can dim the lights including independently with the combined beams; the replacable umbilical's great (meaning no waiting for months for repair); it's smaller and lighter than equivalents. It's been for a few dozen dives and has survived my usage -- I'm not kind to my dive kit -- and many dives below 40m.

I've been going back to the NW7 recently since it got repaired, but probably more because it's attached to the large suit heater battery. Am currently playing around with the Anchor as a stand-alone torch for video.

The great thing about Anchor is Declan at Anchor is really helpful. He's often at the dive shows -- isn't Coventry coming up soon?

Happy to recommend them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks everyone for your input to this, it's great to hear the real world experience. To be honest, service after purchase is the deciding factor for me, as it's a product that will need servicing by either the original manufacturer or someone linked to them closely.

Looking at the posts it looks like it's between Anchor (who I had not heard of before this, so thanks) and Ammonite, they both also seem to offer a longer warranty than Halcyon or Light For Me, i'm also looking into Greenforce.
    Both of these are at the Go Dive Show in Coventry in Feb so I will have a chat with them both.

I like the idea of the Focus 2.0 or the Light For Me as you can switch from wide angle to narrow beam.

Once I purchase one and use it for a while i'll post a review, so any future buyers can see experience after the torch has been used for a year or so.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input to this, it's great to hear the real world experience. To be honest, service after purchase is the deciding factor for me, as it's a product that will need servicing by either the original manufacturer or someone linked to them closely.

Looking at the posts it looks like it's between Anchor (who I had not heard of before this, so thanks) and Ammonite, they both also seem to offer a longer warranty than Halcyon or Light For Me, i'm also looking into Greenforce.
    Both of these are at the Go Dive Show in Coventry in Feb so I will have a chat with them both.

I like the idea of the Focus 2.0 or the Light For Me as you can switch from wide angle to narrow beam.

Once I purchase one and use it for a while i'll post a review, so any future buyers can see experience after the torch has been used for a year or so.
    I've been using a greenforce heptastar for years. It's done hundreds of dives and been on many flights and many hours bouncing about in a RIB, twist it on and it lights up, no buttons or switches to fail, it's small enough not to get in the way on the back of your hand and if you want to replace it with a newer brighter version you don't need to buy a whole torch. I bought a spare umbilical after some of the comments on forums but have never needed it. There are quite a few GF torches of various types in use amongst people I regularly dive with and some have been going for 10 years or more. I know of one light head that went back for an issue and was an old discontinued model so they offered the owner a healthy discount on a new model.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid before buying another if I lost mine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another vote for Greenforce. I have been using GF lights for around 18 years. I am on battery number three. Number two battery is I think eight years old and still works very well. On second umbilical. I have a hepstar LED.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Last edited by graham_hk; 02-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Well its probably only fair to hear my side - I worked for Halcyon (via their distributor) at the time. You bought an old stock light with a damaged battery (because it was old) - your contract was with the original seller and you should've got replacement from them. He side stepped and pushed it along to the distributor unfortunately this happened during transition to a new distributor, the new distributor said its not my problem but after a lot of unpaid leg work from methey agreed to sell you a new one - the new one was also old stock and broken. I was out of pocket since I was paid for any work that I did trouble shooting your light - I didn't work for the old distributor and was not paid by the new one but tried to help you but I was blamed. I did go out of my way to get the battery back to the manufacturer but you never followed up with them.

Overall, yes you were treated very badly by both the original seller and by the new distributor and by the manufacturer - I tired to help and was dragging into the shit storm too I think its a little bit unfair to blame or attack me - go for it with the companies (since I was only doing what I was told to do by them). You may choose to believe me or not but I tried my best to have them stand by their product.
    Graham,

The charger and battery were "replaced" and the torch "fixed". This was paid for leaving the new retailer out of pocket.
    It was only after the torch was sent back for the "repairs" to be corrected that you were involved.

I have the email conversation where you were involved if you'd like it published. I'd say you didn't help at all because I still don't have the torch which you have had since June 2015 and hadn't managed to sort out by your last email in Feb 2016.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Last edited by graham_hk; 02-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast