Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Umbilical dive torch for UK waters ?

Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing an umbilical torch for diving UK waters to replace a really old HID, specifically the torch will be used for Channel wreck diving and also sometimes cave diving, it will be used for Trimix diving also.

I wanted to know what the general view is in the UK?

Does anyone have any experience with Light For Me torches? I've used helmet mounted handheld torches from them before in caves and they've always worked well for me. I like the look of the NW7 which has a wide angle and narrow beam capability.

Looking at Light For Me's website they appear to be ending production of older torches pre 2020 and are about to bring out a new delrin range, so potentially some bargains to be had on the old range if they're any good?

The top of the range torch appears to be the Halcyon Focus 2.0, does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth the premium price?

Are there any other brands people use and recommend? I know some UK Instructors use Ammonite, any experience in the wider community?

Thanks

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like my light for me torch, but there after sales support is useless. It took 2 months to get a battery connection changed and the same for a e/o cable to be swapped.

There's no communication when you send stuff to them you get told they have it then no updates untill they are posting it back which is frustrating.

It's the only thing that puts me off recommending there lights.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Agree with the above. Would not buy Light / Heat for me again. Seem to be a somewhat unreliable product, repairs very slow and where I bought it from didn't understand the difference between warranty and statutory consumer rights. As I need a new torch and vest battery I'm probably going with Ammonite.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I flooded my last canister light, I bought a Big Blue handheld. I use it as a primary light for cave and UK wreck diving and it's as good as the 21w light monkey.

I have a bungee attached so can clip it off on a d-ring to mimic the umbilical light cable, then hold it in my hand or put it on my helmet. I'm really happy with it. Less weight to carry and cheaper!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Greenforce. they just work.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by t0by View Post
    When I flooded my last canister light, I bought a Big Blue handheld. I use it as a primary light for cave and UK wreck diving and it's as good as the 21w light monkey.

I have a bungee attached so can clip it off on a d-ring to mimic the umbilical light cable, then hold it in my hand or put it on my helmet. I'm really happy with it. Less weight to carry and cheaper!
    Be interested in finding out more as Big blue is the other option to ammonite that I'm considering

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Greenforce. they just work.
    Been through too many GF umbilical cables and the battery tech hasn't really kept up

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Who is the Irish company that make torches, I think bsac members got a discount.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Who is the Irish company that make torches, I think bsac members got a discount.
    Anchor dive lights. Good kit.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I bought an Anchor umbilical light a few months back to replace a LFM.

Ok so far. Service was obviously much better. The canister is tiny in comparison to others. The model I bought was probably excessive in hindsight. It's got a load of modes that I'll likely never use.

Beam is decent but not as tight as my LFM 7XPE

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Umbilical dive torch for UK waters ?

Iíve had a focus 1 and a focus 2. Both were brilliant (!) and the tightness of the beam was awesome, but I found the handle a bit of a faff.

Got a light monkey 32w now which is pretty good - can also helmet mount it for caves - using a razor mount. The focus was too big and bulky for me to helmet mount it comfortably.

Heard good things about ammonite too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast