Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    Sorry to drag this back. I use the LFM NW7 with 11ah battery for around 4-5 years , to date it’s been excellent. Generally I only use the tight beam , the wide beam is super bright but unless conditions are stunning you get a lot of back scatter. If your inside a wreck both beams bring a day light sense to the surroundings. I have read of the customer service issues but have no personal experience. When I was last in under water explorers Portland , they believed that LFM were looking to switch to Delrin for the battery housings. That’s the only issue on mine , I have some corrosion on the battery caps , but my set up is partly to blame as this has been in contact with my stainless frame.
    Thanks for your input Vanny, it's seems that Light For Me are great lights, after listening to different people on this forum and also outside the general consensus is that there are 2 problems; 1) service if you have an issue with the light and 2) aluminium housings causing some corrosion. It looks like they are switching to Delrin so hopefully at the same time they improve the service when customers have a problem. If they do this, they could be one of the leading brands in the UK.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There's a couple (of course there's more!) of popular helmet-mounted torches. The Scurion's rather nice: scurion.ch as it works out of the water for normal caving.

The reasons I didn't go for a focus were varied, but the main reason was the 'wide' setting means the moderately powerful light source is spread over a much wider area, so will be dim. The NW7 and Anchor 189 have one light for narrow which is circa 1000 lumen, but a separate 3000 to 5000 lumen light used for the wide setting. This means that these can also double as video lights. The Halcyon isn't bright enough for a video light. Other reasons against the Halcyon included the folding Goodman; the fiddly switch; the large size of the head; the small battery; the cost.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    The reasons I didn't go for a focus were varied, but the main reason was the 'wide' setting means the moderately powerful light source is spread over a much wider area, so will be dim. The NW7 and Anchor 189 have one light for narrow which is circa 1000 lumen, but a separate 3000 to 5000 lumen light used for the wide setting. This means that these can also double as video lights.
    Thanks Wibs, if you've got the NW7 and the Anchor 189, with my Focus we could ultimately have 3 independent review of some of the available lights that have the switchable focus from narrow to wide beam on here which will be good for future readers making the decision. Based on the service and spec's I have to say that the Anchor would have been my choice if not going for the Halcyon.

Good point about the different emitters in the head of the light, you're absolutely right the Halcyon has just one compared to multiple system the other 2 lights use, i'll make sure to reference this when I post a review of the Focus.

Another interesting point is that when you focus the beam of the Focus 2.0 to completely narrow you end up with a cross shape (almost as if there's actually 4 LED's or there's a small cross shapes thing blocking the light). Apparently this is as a result of the new design LED system and how it is able to safely deal with the 'power' emitted form the light, if you just slightly turn the focus dial back this goes back to a circle. Not sure if this is important for diving it yet but interesting look into how it's made compared to other torches, i'll look into what causes this further and put in my review.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    There's a couple (of course there's more!) of popular helmet-mounted torches. The Scurion's rather nice: scurion.ch as it works out of the water for normal caving.
    I'll also look into this, as a light that also works out of the water would be good for caving.
    Last edited by Kier; 22-01-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi folks - not posted on here for a while, for me these torches cannot be beaten. https://www.barbolight.es/ (there is an English website as well)

I have used these for 600+ dives, some of which have been in fairly rubbish places and they are still good.

The manufacturer has started making them again, they never come up on eBay being sold second hand so I would take that as testament to their quality. They are machined well, and the electronics are VERY good.

Whilst not cheap, it is money well spent. Work out the cost of your dive torch and then divide it by 600 (in my case) it's cost me pennies per dive.
    Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irnbru View Post
    Hi folks - not posted on here for a while, for me these torches cannot be beaten. https://www.barbolight.es/ (there is an English website as well)

I have used these for 600+ dives, some of which have been in fairly rubbish places and they are still good.

The manufacturer has started making them again, they never come up on eBay being sold second hand so I would take that as testament to their quality. They are machined well, and the electronics are VERY good.

Whilst not cheap, it is money well spent. Work out the cost of your dive torch and then divide it by 600 (in my case) it's cost me pennies per dive.
    Make a nice change from black.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    With all this quarantine there's not nearly enough talk on dive lights! Looking forward to the OPs review of the Focus 2.0 as finding myself in a similar position. What hasn't quite made the discussion from my interest is if a focus-able light can do the job just as well as to make no difference than two separate light-heads for different purposes. Taking a highly rated manufacturer in the UK that kind of does both, Ammonite for example, it would cost no more to get a Solaris (6 deg fixed beam up to 4500lm) and a Helios (11 deg fixed beam 3000lm) as it would for their Nautilus (9-45 deg beam up to 4000lm). I get there is a big jump between 11 degs and 45 but hopefully you get the point - for a tight beam is the Solaris going to be more effective and for a wide beam is a Helios or something designed just to be as wide as 45 degs going to be better. With EO options it even seems feasible to take both into the water for the odd dive where both options might be useful. These light heads come in at £600-700 combined vs the Halcyon at £1000 rrp (head only) and while I'm not trying to question the relative brand value Halcyon don't appear to make fixed focus lights to see if their position would be similar.

It would also be good to know how much folks with focus-able lights actually use them (especially in UK waters) on anything other than a tight beam?

Hope all are doing ok in these difficult times.
    Simon

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonPM View Post
    With all this quarantine there's not nearly enough talk on dive lights! Looking forward to the OPs review of the Focus 2.0 as finding myself in a similar position. What hasn't quite made the discussion from my interest is if a focus-able light can do the job just as well as to make no difference than two separate light-heads for different purposes. Taking a highly rated manufacturer in the UK that kind of does both, Ammonite for example, it would cost no more to get a Solaris (6 deg fixed beam up to 4500lm) and a Helios (11 deg fixed beam 3000lm) as it would for their Nautilus (9-45 deg beam up to 4000lm). I get there is a big jump between 11 degs and 45 but hopefully you get the point - for a tight beam is the Solaris going to be more effective and for a wide beam is a Helios or something designed just to be as wide as 45 degs going to be better. With EO options it even seems feasible to take both into the water for the odd dive where both options might be useful. These light heads come in at £600-700 combined vs the Halcyon at £1000 rrp (head only) and while I'm not trying to question the relative brand value Halcyon don't appear to make fixed focus lights to see if their position would be similar.

It would also be good to know how much folks with focus-able lights actually use them (especially in UK waters) on anything other than a tight beam?

Hope all are doing ok in these difficult times.
    Simon
    Personally I don't find the focusable option particularly useful. Of course if you get a focusable light you will think its the best thing ever for the first few dives and will be twisting away - but ultimately you'll find a setting you like and just leave it at that and wish you'd saved the money . I haven't used the Nautilus but for Halcyon the wide is not wide enough for video/photo and the narrowest settings are virtually useless as too narrow. Thus I have video lights for wide applications and a general dive light for diving.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I dont think that umbilicals are needed anymore, unless you need very long burn times like in a cave.

Modern LED bulbs emit as much or better light as HIDs for a tiny fraction of the burn time.

A decent €150 handheld is superior to an 10 year old umbilical imho.

I have been using small chinese hamdhelds for the last 5 years that cost me €30 a piece. They are very high quality and I know of at least 15 more of these torches that sold based purely on seeing me use mine. Difelife were trying to sell the same ones for £156 iirc. I wonder why they went tits up?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d7V50Z4
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Umbilical torches are permanently connected to the diver so even less likely to be swallowed by Neptune's locker. They'll also be a little lighter and have a much longer battery life, useful for the second or longer dives, and especially useful if using a high-brightness wide beam.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Umbilical dive torch for UK waters ?

Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    but ultimately you'll find a setting you like and just leave it at that
    This comment certainly fits my thinking - the next logical question would be anyone care to hazard a guess at what beam angle fits most divers most of the time in the UK and perhaps would be suitable for cave (abroad) and wreck too! Iím guessing the tighter the better for our less than clear waters, but you highlight another interesting point that there is such a thing as too much of a tight beam! The choices seem to range from 6 degs to around 15 degs but then thereís also the halo to consider which is probably not desirable.

Trying to work backwards from the output so not considering umbilical vs free at the mo but that will be the last consideration and Iím guessing the options will be much narrower by then.

I missed that Iím not considering anything for video lighting here as am in the camp that that needs separate and very different lights.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SimonPM; 29-03-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast