Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recommendation for Mexico

Hey everyone,

Im looking to do about 5 dives on my stay in Cancun in March. Please list your top 5 must-go dives. And if anyone knows a dive shop that you would recommend for combo diving - that would be great (im abit on a budget).

Thank you in advance!

-Emilis

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Concentrate on the cenotes, as the reefs on the mainland are a bit meh. Best reefs are on Cozumel, but perhaps distance and budget may prevent you from visiting the island. Depending on your experience, I would highly recommend El Pit (one of the cenotes). Apart from that, any of the cenotes will blow your mind.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you for your answer. And what about shark diving? That is one of my bucketlist. Just to let you know, Im coming in March and my level is Open water.

Back in the UK, Ah Now..... NeilB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My experience of Cancun would say, don't bother! The reefs, what there are, are dead and very small. Didn't see a lot of fish when I dived there either.....
    Know many, trust few, hurt none.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Playa Del Carmen is the place for bull sharks, but I think March time may be coming to the end of the season of them being there. Also, the bull shark dives is a bit deeper than open water and you need to be advanced. I would also suggest being nitrox certified if you want to dive with the bulls otherwise the dives are quite short. I actually enjoyed the reef diving, there are enough fish and rays to keep one occupied for 5 dives for sure.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I dived with Dive It! who are the house dive shop at the Ocean Maya Royale at the end of November 2019. We did a few of the local reefs some 10-15m and some 20-30m and they were all very acceptable with plenty of life. Diver ability ranged from beginner to pretty good and everyone was catered for. They didn't take me to see the bull sharks because they'd not seen any and didn't want to disappoint which I found pretty fair. I'd dive there again.

If you're somewhere like this you're not going to get nitrox - you need a bigger outfit.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I actually lived in PDC and Tulum for a while. Like the others said, the reefs around Cancun are not that great and I would definitely head more south to enjoy the cenotes. For open water levels Dos Ojos, Carwash and Casa Cenote were my favorites. The Pit is awesome as well but it is deeper so most dive centers take only advanced level divers there. Dos Ojos is very beautiful, but be aware that it is also the most popular and attracts a lot of crowd. Casa Cenote is often underrated because people do their first dives there as well, but it might be actually my favorite. It has mangroves, halocline effect, cavernous parts and more life than in others. And of course, there I did my first dive with a crocodile!

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A little bit of footage from Mexico