Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ghost gear

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ghost gear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-50510666

I read the following article and nearly choked on the comment from the SFF that most lost gear is monofilament that comes from french and spanish boats on the west coast. That isn't what I see when I'm diving the west coast and every picture in the article shows trawl nets and pot ropes. why does nobody call out such blatant bullshit?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-50510666

I read the following article and nearly choked on the comment from the SFF that most lost gear is monofilament that comes from french and spanish boats on the west coast. That isn't what I see when I'm diving the west coast and every picture in the article shows trawl nets and pot ropes. why does nobody call out such blatant bullshit?
    Alternative facts, that's all. He who shouts the loudest and first is right. This fits nicely into the new eutopia we'll all be living in at the end of the month, when the foreigners all go home and the fish all rush back into the UK waters so every fisherman can afford a new Range Rover though they struggle to bring their boats back into the harbour, with it so full of British fishing boats.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Alternative facts, that's all. He who shouts the loudest and first is right. This fits nicely into the new eutopia we'll all be living in at the end of the month, when the foreigners all go home and the fish all rush back into the UK waters so every fisherman can afford a new Range Rover though they struggle to bring their boats back into the harbour, with it so full of British fishing boats.
    This utopia is of course based on the government standing up to EU demand that the fishing grounds will still be open to EU vessels (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50837190).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The fishing industry bought into the Brexit lie. Good old Nige dumping fish in the Thames. Those of us on the correct side of the argument have called out blatant bullshit for a long time but still lost anyway.

With the current fires in Oz I am starting to think that what is actually happening globally is a last rush for what is available to exploit just before the reality of the shitfest hits the general public. The marine ecosystem is near to exhaustion and the collapse of fish stocks is a real issue in many waters. As some species become commercially extinct the pressure will move to others (as seen with Orange Roughy for example - an unheard of deepwater species suddenly becomes a staple). I find it hard to believe that the most senior people in the fishing industry do not know that the whole industry will soon be unviable and simply want to get the last few pounds out of it before the inevitable.

To keep the halfwits out there fishing when it is insane to do so requires they are brainwashed into believing some lie or another, in this case the universal truth that it is all the fault of foreigners.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    With the current fires in Oz I am starting to think that what is actually happening globally is a last rush for what is available to exploit just before the reality of the shitfest hits the general public. The marine ecosystem is near to exhaustion and the collapse of fish stocks is a real issue in many waters. As some species become commercially extinct the pressure will move to others (as seen with Orange Roughy for example - an unheard of deepwater species suddenly becomes a staple). I find it hard to believe that the most senior people in the fishing industry do not know that the whole industry will soon be unviable and simply want to get the last few pounds out of it before the inevitable.
    "While the end-of-the-world scenario will be rife with unimaginable horrors, we believe that the pre-end period will be filled with unprecedented opportunities for profit."
    Bob Mankoff

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All the shite I've seen on the bottom has been from local fishing boats - my favourite is the huge piles of cooked crab and lobster shells (an filleted fish) in huge piles along the ground under the pot strings. This is illegal and saves them paying for proper waste removal. I have no objection to them luring lobsters away from their own pots, but the morons who put the waste in tied up bin bags deserve to die.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    All the shite I've seen on the bottom has been from local fishing boats - my favourite is the huge piles of cooked crab and lobster shells (an filleted fish) in huge piles along the ground under the pot strings. This is illegal and saves them paying for proper waste removal. I have no objection to them luring lobsters away from their own pots, but the morons who put the waste in tied up bin bags deserve to die.
    Surely the fish carcasses are pot bait? If you crushed the crab shells they would just grind up and join the sand in a few weeks. Weird. As to putting anything in a sealed bin bag that is unforgivable. But that is the fishing industry for you. (And the cruise ships and ferries and just about every other knob that is at sea.)

You see fish carcasses in marinas as well. I've never really understood that - leave it out in the open sea and the crabs and shrimps will recycle the whole thing soon enough. The gulls like them though, then shit the remains out all over people's yachts. Then every Sunday we burn 30Kw and 30,000L jet washing the plastic fantastics so a few tossers can sit on them with a G&T.

edit - I was thinking about this as I clicked off - we used to feed shells to chickens as a calcium source, but that was oyster IIRC. Wondered if crab would get scoffed too? (It is a protein). Had a search and found this:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/9...-of-the-future
    Last edited by Chrisch; 13-01-2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add url

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Surely the fish carcasses are pot bait?
    You'd generally find pot bait in a pot, securely wedged into a holder. These are big piles of recently dropped stuff from a fishmonger - swordfish, salmon, trout etc.

The crab plastic is interesing though - too hard for the chickens because of the chitin.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    You'd generally find pot bait in a pot, securely wedged into a holder. These are big piles of recently dropped stuff from a fishmonger - swordfish, salmon, trout etc.
    Doesn't that get sent off for fish meal any more? It is a valuable resource, the remaining flesh can be mechanically stripped for fish food pellets and the bone makes fertilizer. I can only think it is small operations that don't justify a collection of waste. IMHO this is a big part of the issue - small outfits that only really make end meet by screwing the environment and not following the rules. Like the rubbish removal people that charge you 25 quid cash to dump your toxic waste in a field somewhere.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Doesn't that get sent off for fish meal any more? It is a valuable resource, the remaining flesh can be mechanically stripped for fish food pellets and the bone makes fertilizer. I can only think it is small operations that don't justify a collection of waste. IMHO this is a big part of the issue - small outfits that only really make end meet by screwing the environment and not following the rules. Like the rubbish removal people that charge you 25 quid cash to dump your toxic waste in a field somewhere.
    I thought some of this went to maggot farms but then again, I don't see that many people out fishing these days. I can remember watching fishing matches where gallons of maggots were being used.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast