Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High sac - trim

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Re: the "heavy fins / sinky feet" thing; having learnt to dive in the UK and bought a dry suit very soon after I really liked the jetfin heavy rubber fins I upgraded to a few years later. However on my first stripy fish holiday, ai expected it be be really easy, diving with a single tank and a shorty wetsuit, but my UK heavy fins dragged my feet down and I was all over the place it was horrid.

That said, trim per se is slightly different from heavy feet. I could almost say the trim problem of being feet-heavy is different from heavy feet if that makes sense

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Follow the advice above, but make sure you are not finning as you try to descend. I have seen lots of people trying to get down but are moving their legs trying to stabilise themselves and inadvertently finning. Try bending your knees so that your fins are up by your bum and you are effectively going down knee first.

Graham.
    I certainly used to do that and still have to remember not to

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It can sometimes be difficult to organise a cylinder with 50 bar or less in it tp do a weight check. If you can get correctly weighted with a cylinder with more gas in it, increase your weighting by 1.293gm per litre of gas that you have over the target pressure volume.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by profpointy View Post
    Re: the "heavy fins / sinky feet" thing; having learnt to dive in the UK and bought a dry suit very soon after I really liked the jetfin heavy rubber fins I upgraded to a few years later. However on my first stripy fish holiday, ai expected it be be really easy, diving with a single tank and a shorty wetsuit, but my UK heavy fins dragged my feet down and I was all over the place it was horrid.

That said, trim per se is slightly different from heavy feet. I could almost say the trim problem of being feet-heavy is different from heavy feet if that makes sense
    I would never take my drysuit fins on holiday with me if for no other reason than the sheer weight. Better to get a lightweight set for wetsuit use (even used from the bay of E) and keep the jet fins at home. Lighter to pack and a whole lot easier with trim in a wetsuit.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    It can sometimes be difficult to organise a cylinder with 50 bar or less in it tp do a weight check. If you can get correctly weighted with a cylinder with more gas in it, increase your weighting by 1.293gm per litre of gas that you have over the target pressure volume.

Probably easier to let some gas out of a full cylinder

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    Probably easier to let some gas out of a full cylinder
    Why waste the gas? It's a simple calculation.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    I would never take my drysuit fins on holiday with me if for no other reason than the sheer weight. Better to get a lightweight set for wetsuit use (even used from the bay of E) and keep the jet fins at home. Lighter to pack and a whole lot easier with trim in a wetsuit.
    I never took my drysuit, but just my fins. I've subsequently bought a pair of mares quatros for stripy fish diving in a wetsuit, but use the jetfins with drysuit at home. Prior to the jetfins I had a pair of mares quatros with the drysuit and they were absolutely fine. I prefer the Jetfins but now wrong with the lighter fins either. I only changed as I lost one of the original mares fins.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Why waste the gas? It's a simple calculation.
    Because I'm yet to see a lead block weighing 1.293gm

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    Because I'm yet to see a lead block weighing 1.293gm
    One of my buddies has one marked as weighing 1.498kg that would cover 1,158 litres of air (or 125 bar in a 12 litre). Mind you, you would have to account for the volume of the lead too.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting a slight feeling that maybe a few people overthink (or I under-think) working out their weighting requirements... Anything less than a kilo isn't worth getting excited about surely? One good dump and the equation would change enough to affect it.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast