Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Which lesson is he teaching? If it is OO2 or 3, you could legitimately ask another instructor to act as the victim without offending your instructor.
    Personally, there is no way that I would do a training dive as the first dive after a layoff, I'd want to do a checkout dive first.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    The surgery wasn't anything massive and I don't think it invalidated any self certification although I'll check that.

I'm more concerned about lack of practise in diving and use of the kit etc rather than any lack of skill or ability and hold the diver in very high regard but he frequently forgets where his keys are so I'd like him to re-familiarise himself with his kit and technique before diving into teaching. If it were me I would want to do a dive just to reassure myself that I'm happy.
    Question 19 "Are you currently receiving medical care or have you consulted a doctor in the last year other than for trivial issues e.g. common cold, infection or minor injury?" would be a yes. They've had surgery, so now need a sign-off from a Medical Referee.

If you allow the this instructor to teach (even dive with the club) without seeing a new Fitness-to-Dive signed by a Medical Referee you may not be covered by BSAC's 3rd Party Liability insurance if something went pear-shaped.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Personally I would suggest a shakedown dive even without the issues of insurance and liability.

Can the person adequately lift their own equipment and manoeuvre with it on? It is a lot of weight to carry.

That is before even thinking about disaster scenarios of what could happen which, as Tel suggests, comes down to can you justify your actions should the worst happen?

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    Question 19 "Are you currently receiving medical care or have you consulted a doctor in the last year other than for trivial issues e.g. common cold, infection or minor injury?" would be a yes. They've had surgery, so now need a sign-off from a Medical Referee.

If you allow the this instructor to teach (even dive with the club) without seeing a new Fitness-to-Dive signed by a Medical Referee you may not be covered by BSAC's 3rd Party Liability insurance if something went pear-shaped.
    I did wonder about that question too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just to add

One of the tricks in dealing with someone that is unaware that they maye have a problem is to put it back on yourself.
    So in a scenario where a diver is not responding in whatrever manner you can think of, bring it back to you.

In the past i've feigned the likes of an ear problem and a kit malfunction to abort the dive, when all the time my concern
    was the other diver Who cares who is really at fault, back on the surface and safe, can then deal with the real issue.

So what you could do is add a 2nd Instructor on the premis that THIS Instructor is the one that needs a bit of a checkout.
    Not only does it solve the problem of duty of care, but it creates a reason for discussion both prior and after the
    event that would include both Instructors, but without upsetting the ego of the primary.

In such a solutiion I wouldn't be surprised if the primary liked the idea as it takes some of the pressure off

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12