Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Phone connectivity in Egypt

Itís been a few years since I last did a liveaboard in Egypt. I was wondering if there is any improvement on getting a phone signal or 3G/4G when out at sea or is it still zilch.
    Thanks.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    not really. Was there a couple of weeks ago, especially on the outer reefs.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsaan View Post
    Itís been a few years since I last did a liveaboard in Egypt. I was wondering if there is any improvement on getting a phone signal or 3G/4G when out at sea or is it still zilch.
    Thanks.
    Was out a few months ago (Brothers trip) and was surprised by how much of signal you could get as I wasn't expecting any at all. The boat also had a wifi router which although rudimentary (only 5 people at time etc) mean't that when you closed in on the coast people who wanted their phone fix could do all their what's app, facebooky stuff etc and check the rugby scores... It was spotty but worked. Obviously when you moved offshore (Brothers etc) you completely lost it until you headed back in closer.

The guide did say that a few weeks before they'd had an official complaint from some nob who was shocked he couldn't get his important work emails while out on the Brothers etc... I think they quietly laughed and filed the complaint where it belonged!

Obviously YMMV...