Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nikon Lens repair: Any preferences/suggestions?

My favourite lens, the "Howitzer", a Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR lens has a dodgy zoom and will now only operate between about 350 and 500.

Does anyone have any comments on the options below or any other suggestions? Preferably real world ones.

Option 1) The Nikon "Hub" is in Northampton, about an hour & 15mins away, so not too far. (I'd prefer to take it myself, and let them post it back).

Option2) I've been recommended to go to premier Electronic Services near Chesterfield (about an hour away).

Option 3) PJ Camera Repairs, Newcastle Under Lyme (about an hour away). Took an expensive bridge camera up there once. They told me all the options so I could make a choice & then agreed that their conclusion would be the same as mine - not really an economical repair.

I'm wondering what else to do.

TIA

Nigel
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    My favourite lens, the "Howitzer", a Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR lens has a dodgy zoom and will now only operate between about 350 and 500.

Does anyone have any comments on the options below or any other suggestions? Preferably real world ones.

Option 1) The Nikon "Hub" is in Northampton, about an hour & 15mins away, so not too far. (I'd prefer to take it myself, and let them post it back).

Option2) I've been recommended to go to premier Electronic Services near Chesterfield (about an hour away).

Option 3) PJ Camera Repairs, Newcastle Under Lyme (about an hour away). Took an expensive bridge camera up there once. They told me all the options so I could make a choice & then agreed that their conclusion would be the same as mine - not really an economical repair.

I'm wondering what else to do.

TIA

Nigel
    I have bought stuff and had stuff repaired by these guys in Northampton.
    I don't know if they do repairs in house or send them away.
    The have always given me satisfaction and seem to be knowledgeable and friendly.

http://www.skearsphoto.com/
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I took my favourite mountain lens, AFS Nikor 10-24 F3.5-4.5ED to https://www.hlehmann.co.uk/index.html in Stoke on Trent (not too far for you). It was loose but still functioning fine. They looked at it, tightened a lot of screws inside and said there were only half a thread on some and then it would have cost a lot. 1-2 hour wait (café round the corner), home with lens £30.
    I will go back
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have had a couple of lens repaired by Nikon. It was quick and efficient.
    Any better, more expensive than other options? I couldn't tell you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    With some positive recommendations for Lehmanns from other people too, it looks like I'll be visiting them soon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    An update: Took the lens to Lehmanns and they gave me a rather expensive quote but suggested we make enquiries on the house insurance as it was almost certainly due to impact damage (although I don't remember it getting knocked).
    This turned out to be a good option with me just paying the excess.
    I'm now waiting for confirmation of payment from the insurers but a couple of things have annoyed me.
    Firstly I got a call from an unknown 0345 number saying they'd like to organise payment into my account and could they have the account details?
    No.
    I rang the claims hotline and they said they'd got my printed quote from the repairer and would soon contact me about payment.
    Today I had a call from another number saying they wanted to talk to me about possibly repairing the lens.
    I asked who told them I had a lens in need of repair and they said the insurance company should have told me to expect the call.
    They hadn't.
    I put the phone down.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I never had anything like that with Lehmans I think it's your insurance related.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    I never had anything like that with Lehmans I think it's your insurance related.
    Yep.