Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sharm el sheikh - have the fish and corals improved?

Hi,

It must had been 16 yrs since I last visited Sharm. Since then not as many Brit's have travelled and dived there. I was just wondering, if anyone returned since the reintroduction of direct flights and what did you think of the diving? Is it any better now, have the corals improved and is there more fish life? Has the town changed? I have read reports that the diving is better again like many years ago, how true is this? I know the Russians etc have been going there in large numbers when we did not travel, hence why I ask about the quality of diving.

Thanks

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have been going since 2010 and was there most recently in October this year. Coral looking good in a lot of places and definitely benefited from a reduction in Divers. If you take a look at for e.g. Camel Dive Club facebook page, or any that post regularly, you will see they had a lot of good sightings this Summer. In October we missed the whale shark that was hanging about but did see plenty, especially around Ras Mohammed on the full moon. I have always loved the diving there, hence going back so many times!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am flying tomorrow to Sharm, on one of the first direct flights. Doing 6 days of diving and staying in Naama Bay. Haven't been there for a few years. Done Ras Mahammed from a liveaboard last year but haven't dived Straits of Tiran for ages. Will report back.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Oh, and re the town itself, hasn't changed much in the last 9 years. Few shops closed down but the centre is more or less the same.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Came back from a week in Sharm. Went with Red Sea Holidays for a week and stayed in Naama Bay. Booked my diving with Emperor Divers, Elisa was an amazing dive guide. Diving was much better than expected, I found coral to be in perfect condition even on the local dive sites, could stay for the whole day at Ras Ghamila reef.
    Security at the airport was the strictest I have ever seen. There was an extra search at the end for the passengers on the UK flight. All very serious, no mucking around, lots of senior officers supervising other staff.
    Would like to go back as soon as possible.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simples ! View Post
    Came back from a week in Sharm. Went with Red Sea Holidays for a week and stayed in Naama Bay. Booked my diving with Emperor Divers, Elisa was an amazing dive guide. Diving was much better than expected, I found coral to be in perfect condition even on the local dive sites, could stay for the whole day at Ras Ghamila reef.
    Security at the airport was the strictest I have ever seen. There was an extra search at the end for the passengers on the UK flight. All very serious, no mucking around, lots of senior officers supervising other staff.

Any big stuff?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No, nothing big. It's not a season for sharks. Not sure if it's because water is only 24C and they migrate South in search of warmer water.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Great report! Many thanks. Will place it here as a reference for other divers: https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...ty-Middle-East Could you pad it out a little with dive sites etc please. Send to me if you do not wish to do it either by pm here or email me direct.

Off to Sharm in March for Grandson to complete his PADI referral. Diving with Emperor too hopefully.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No, nothing big. It's not a season for sharks. Not sure if it's because water is only 24C and they migrate South in search of warmer water.

Do you know the season?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Do you know the season?
    May to July according to a brief search on Google.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast