Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What wetsuit?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    If you want to believe that an outfit is soooo good that it can erase the pee and shit that the previous user
    has added to the suit then by all means spout the wonders of the Orca laundry service

Reason I'm adamant about 100% is an experience about 12 years ago on a Red Sea group trip where
    some suits were hired. Apart from the usual friction wear and sore skin from being in salt water a lot,
    two of the party were suffering from a dermacological rash one minor the other fairly severe. She had
    to leave off diving for a day and keep out of the sun. Soon as she put the suit back on it flared up again.
    Another day off, changed the suit, took that one back and soaked it in the hotel bath with a few water
    changes and miraculously the next day no problems.

I live in the real world, so you'll just have to accept that it's my opinion that after having witnessed the
    the concequences believe that NO outfit can 100% clean a suit, even if they use scented showers

Me, now I just play it safe and stick to my own suit, one that was new off the peg and has never been
    p*ssed in ever and is washed by me, so 100% is guaranteed not to have another's p*ss in it which was
    the point of my advice to the OP
    You have never had a pee in your own suit?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just a couple of points in this discussion.
    1. Pee is sterile when it leaves the body (assuming you are a fit healthy diver).
    2. There are a lot of micro organisms in sea water, and a lot of other things that you can mount a reaction to if they are rubbed into your skin. Wearing a wet suit allows (in most cases) relatively free access of water, hence wet.
    3. Sunlight (UV) and dehydration are very good at killing bugs.
    4. My impression diving with a lot of outfits over the years is that standards re rinsing/washing/cleaning, vary considerably some of the outfits further out geographically are excellent (cheap labour).
    5. Not all rashes post diving are due to sensitive skin/potential bugs/others pee, although these are common. Skin bends do occur and can be a harbinger of a serious bend. I was fortunate to advise a diver (on the other place) who was blaming rubber allergies for his skin bends to photograph them and consult DDRC he has had his significant PFO closed.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    usual blather
    you're hilarious

you give a lot of useful advice on here, and you've helped me in the past too ........

BUT you know everything, there is never a grey area, and you're never wrong

you said

Can 100% guarantee that every hire wetsuit has ... never been washed fully, if at all
    that's just wrong - I've sat and watched it done, disinfectant, shampoo and manual scrub

far better than I've ever washed my own

then it turns out your 100% worldwide certainty is like a line from Porkys - "there was this one time, at band camp..."

Reason I'm adamant about 100% is an experience about 12 years ago on a Red Sea group trip where
    some suits were hired.
    so I'll stick to my own personal knowledge and experience that twice in the last 12 months (not once 12 years ago) I have personally watched one particular dive centre give an extremely thorough disinfection and clean (and then dry out in strong sun) to their rented kit

you can be as dismissive as you like about that

by all means spout the wonders of the Orca laundry service
    but simple fact remains that it is absolutely not the case that because once, 12 years ago, someone got a rash, every single centre worldwide is unable today to care properly for its kit

places that do - and I'll cheerfully champion Orca in Soma Bay on this front, based on recent personal experience - should get credit for it, not be dissed by Mr NeverWrong based on "there was this one time, at band camp"

Happy Christmas

[p.s. that's an affectionate piss take BTW Tel, I am truly grateful for some of the advice on here lol xxx]
    Last edited by UnCheeky Monkey; 22-12-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added the p.s. - don't want to hurt anyone's feelings !

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    5 mm is definitely recommended.

I just tested my new multimeter to test my scuba equipment if its working just right and it's all good, indeed a very reliable multimeter I found at https://bestmultimeterreviews.org/fl...s-clamp-meter/.
    Last edited by Stichomythia; 10-01-2020 at 02:39 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    BUT you know everything, there is never a grey area, and you're never wrong

Nope don't know everything, but I often get slated, because when giving or countering general advice I always look at the bigger picture

Giving advice to use a hire suit might have been fine if it was mentoned to make sure the chosen outfit had a good laundry policy.
    Trouble is that latter gem was absent, so such advice would also be inclusive of all the outfits that did NOT ever rinse suits, just stuck them on
    a rack to air dry.

So the safe default (or blanket advice) especailly on fora has to be to NOT use hire suits at all, because you cant't 100% guarantee that the
    suits will be washed.

And happy Christmas to you too

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    You have never had a pee in your own suit?
    Nope, not in the past 40 odd years and about 5k dives and not looking to start now

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nope, not in the past 40 odd years and about 5k dives and not looking to start now
    You would not want to hire one of your dive suits out to me then.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    You would not want to hire one of your dive suits out to me then.
    Lol, if I'm reading that right that will be a definate no

Students are usually pretty good, but if they ever pee in a drysuit they get to buy it, same applies if they go off
    and have a crafty fag. Smoke can be a bitch to get out of dive kit

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    5 mm is definitely recommended.
    You spelled Dallas wrong.
    She said you know honey it's such a shame You'll never be any good at this game You bruise too easily

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123