Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Does it really matter if your image is softwared (new verb that) in camera or on a PC?
    Well, yes, I think so. Possibly. Depends on how much shoppery is done? Also, I had the image in mind before I took it ......

Well ..... no, maybe it probably doesn't.

Oh, I don't know. What do you think?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Just go for it, sorry, just tell your friend to go for it. If we don't like it, we will not vote for you, sorry, him.
    No votes! Again! I, I mean 'my friend', would be distraught!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    softwared
    Nice verbing :-)

If time permits I might try something similar to Finless' suggestion in Photoshop.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    Well, yes, I think so. Possibly. Depends on how much shoppery is done? Also, I had the image in mind before I took it ......

Where would this all end? No computer external editing, no camera internal editing, no shots taken on auto mode, no using aperture or shutter priority, light film only, processed only in home darkroom, glass plate negatives only.....................
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Where would this all end? No computer external editing, no camera internal editing, no shots taken on auto mode, no using aperture or shutter priority, light film only, processed only in home darkroom, glass plate negatives only.....................
    Oooh, what about amateurs only? Bl@@dy professionals coming on here stealing all the limelight. Don't forget the semi-pros as well, that Georgina is too good.
    Fancy them lording it over us, giving us entertainment, ideas and something to aspire to. The cheek of it.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anyone ever notice how people like to post pictures of their loved ones. For example, we often see photos of Pete's dog.
    I have no idea what his wife looks like though.
    At a recent Japanese evening

Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post

Yes it matters! I only shoot RAW which means all my images without editing are flat and boring on the other hand if you shoot JPEG then the camera has applied editing based on some Japanese programmer's idea of "best average". He, on your behalf, will have applied adjusted contrast, white balance, clarity, shadow enhancement etc etc. I on the other hand prefer to make my own decisions. It's not cheating, it's just arriving where I want to get to not where the programmer wants to take me. The difference between taking a taxi or bus

For me it stops being photography when the image no longer looks like the moment of capture. At that point it's become a different art form. Everyone needs to decide for themselves where to draw the line.
    Last edited by Pete Bullen; 12-12-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In other languages* you 'make' a photo rather than 'take' a photo.

Well, in French anyway. I'm not that multi-lingual.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    In other languages* you 'make' a photo rather than 'take' a photo.

Well, in French anyway. I'm not that multi-lingual.
    Yes indeed, my hero Ansell Adams spent longer in the darkroom than on the trail) and that is why I took a laptop with Lightroom on my travels so that I could get the photo as close to what I saw (or perceived) as soon as possible while the image as I (not the camera's and the software engineer's) perceived it was still fresh in my mind. Quite apart from the learning curve of being able sometimes to remember where I pointed the strobes.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bullen View Post
    Yes it matters! I only shoot RAW which means all my images without editing are flat and boring on the other hand if you shoot JPEG then the camera has applied editing based on some Japanese programmer's idea of "best average". He, on your behalf, will have applied adjusted contrast, white balance, clarity, shadow enhancement etc etc. I on the other hand prefer to make my own decisions. It's not cheating, it's just arriving where I want to get to not where the programmer wants to take me. The difference between taking a taxi or bus

For me it stops being photography when the image no longer looks like the moment of capture. At that point it's become a different art form. Everyone needs to decide for themselves where to draw the line.
    That is a very good point of view. I must remember that.
    By the way Finless, please note that Pete says he shoots RAW, not in the raw. I am just clarifying this for the sake of the ladies of Sussex.
    Paul.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast