Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Calling for an auto electrician.

I have a transit 110 T300 2007 plate.
    The story so far. It is a campervan so has been sitting around quite a bit.
    The battery got low, got enough power to open doors etc but not enough to start the motor.
    I put it on charge overnight, not disconnecting the battery, don't know if that is relevant.
    Started it the next day and took it for a run to warm it up well as it had not been started for some time.
    Found out that all the dashboard instruments were dead, speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge and temp gauge. The radio was lighting up but not working. Presumed a fuse had gone. Also found that it did not start every time, the key turns but the starter does not work. I can hear clicking from passenger side.
    Today I squirted WD 40 into the ignition lock in case there is a spot of corrosion, also found the instrument fuse which had not blown.
    Now it gets weird. The starter is still intermittent, the fuel gauge came on for a bit and then went off again and I have found that the radio works with the ignition off but not with it on.
    So, is it a dodgy ignition switch, a wonky relay, another fuse somewhere, something else or a combination of all three?
    Do I need to stop faffing about and get an auto electrician to look at it?
    TIA.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My transit went totally bananas when moisture got inside the body control module. I had someone do a track repair on the pcb to fix some corrosion and now it is wrapped in a quilt of silica gel packets.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    My transit went totally bananas when moisture got inside the body control module. I had someone do a track repair on the pcb to fix some corrosion and now it is wrapped in a quilt of silica gel packets.
    Thanks, that's another thing to worry about.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have a transit 110 T300 2007 plate.
    The story so far. It is a campervan so has been sitting around quite a bit.
    The battery got low, got enough power to open doors etc but not enough to start the motor.
    I put it on charge overnight, not disconnecting the battery, don't know if that is relevant.
    Shouldn't be a problem.

Started it the next day and took it for a run to warm it up well as it had not been started for some time.
    Found out that all the dashboard instruments were dead, speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge and temp gauge. The radio was lighting up but not working. Presumed a fuse had gone. Also found that it did not start every time, the key turns but the starter does not work. I can hear clicking from passenger side.
    Do you have (or can you borrow) a voltmeter?
    Car batteries don't like sitting flat, it damages them. Sometimes putting them on charge (up to 14.5V) will revive them fully, sometimes not. It should be ~12V with ignition off and 13-14V running.

Today I squirted WD 40 into the ignition lock in case there is a spot of corrosion, also found the instrument fuse which had not blown.
    Now it gets weird. The starter is still intermittent, the fuel gauge came on for a bit and then went off again and I have found that the radio works with the ignition off but not with it on.
    So, is it a dodgy ignition switch, a wonky relay, another fuse somewhere, something else or a combination of all three?
    Do I need to stop faffing about and get an auto electrician to look at it?
    TIA.
    Probably. Does sound like a dodgy switch though, but worth checking the battery's healthy too.

(I'm not an electrician, I'm an electronics engineer who mostly sits at a computer doing software and algorithm stuff these days)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mice.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Mice.
    Gets my vote as well!!
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My transit has 2 batteries. One dedicated to the starter and one for the dash/radio stuff. Think there both under the drivers seat. Yours maybe different mines a motorhome 2.4 140 GG’s. I also have a separate leisure battery but that doesn’t affect anything upfront. Possible you’ve got 2 ?? Ones dead or dying.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    Gets my vote as well!!
    Spoken from the heart.
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    My transit has 2 batteries. One dedicated to the starter and one for the dash/radio stuff. Think there both under the drivers seat. Yours maybe different mines a motorhome 2.4 140 GG’s. I also have a separate leisure battery but that doesn’t affect anything upfront. Possible you’ve got 2 ?? Ones dead or dying.
    I have 2 leisure batteries but AFAIK only one for upfront stuff. That is under the drivers seat. I will follow Stigs advice and see if my voltmeter still works and if the battery is good I think I will change the starter motor relay as that is the cheaper/easier option. Next step, ignition switch.
    I was just hoping that some genius expert could narrow down the options for me.
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The battery is showing 12.5V with engine off and 14.25 with it running so I am ruling that out.
    Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast