Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    Silicone every time for me, comfortable, don't leak, don't stretch, don't perish.
    rips like a mofo

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    rips like a mofo
    You need to trim your nails.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    You need to trim your nails.
    Dunno about the Channel Islands but generally we don't have nails on our heads in England ...

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dunno about the Channel Islands but generally we don't have nails on our heads in England ...
    That can be arranged.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    rips like a mofo
    True, but I can change it in less about 5 minutes for the spare ones in my toolbox.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    IME, the silicone ones do seem to tear more easily than decent latex ones but they are very comfy from what I hear. I'm a clumsy ape so it's a no-go for me.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    IME, the silicone ones do seem to tear more easily than decent latex ones but they are very comfy from what I hear. I'm a clumsy ape so it's a no-go for me.
    I've had silicone neck and wrists on mine for 3 years now and not torn one. So long as you're careful not to stick a finger nail into it, they're pretty tough. You'd be just as careful about fingernails with latex too.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have had both and am now settled on neoprene, but both have their pros and cons. They are in any case consumables, so you can always swap to the other kind at replacement time, so it's not a fixed-forever decision.

Latex - slightly less leaky arguably,
    failure mode is instant (though usually when putting the suit on rather than diving). So if the wrist seal goes, it totally goes, and can't really be bodged with glue for the next day
    Some people (not me) are allergic to latex and it looks like they've been half-hanged after wearing a latex neck seal. If you're in this group, then latex is out, and everything else is irrelevent

Neoprene - can be bodged if nicked or damaged. Maybe good enough for second day. And you get more warning when their on their way out
    Arguably a bit warmer
    I find the neo neck seal more comfortable, and less strangly. Some of this could just be size, but the neo seals are folded over so arranged differently. The "decider" for me is this reduces my seasickness somewhat as the neck seal is one contributory factor, for me anyway.

On balance I prefer neoprene, but either is OK. And as I said, you can swop to the other sort when the first lot wear out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12